Would you buy a used infant car seat?

i have been told not to buy a used car seat, but money is very tight now, and i can't afford brand new. what should i do?

Kainalu55

Asked by Kainalu55 at 3:49 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check with your local hospital and see if they sell car seats at a reduced price. I just bought a used travel set, but I got it from a close friend. Check around with your friends and see if any of them are selling a car seat that fits your needs. As long as you 100% trust that the person is not lying about the seat being in an accident, then you're good.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:57 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• The only reason not to buy a used one is the fact that you can never be sure the car seat was not in an accident. If money is tight go to your local fire department and ask about a car seat program. They sign you up for a class and give you a free seat and show you how to properly install it.
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 3:59 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i'm not sure if they have that program here. i'm also on bedrest, so stuck at home...but i'll call and see, if they do, maybe my husband could go.
    Kainalu55

Comment by Kainalu55 (original poster) at 4:01 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• absolutely not. ever.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 4:06 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• try the kyle miller foundation.
    ourbabykins

• It just depends. Again the only reason is because you dont know for sure if its been in an accident or not. if you know a person who will sell you a cheap one or give you one(like a good friend) then yeah that is fine. but if its off craigslist idk. I mean its up to you. I have done it before once for my sons toddler carseat and then when i found a job i bought him a new one and discarded the old one.we couldnt afford one for awhile there. Then after i bought him the knew one i found out our local ambulance/paramedics have a dicount program to get carseats for as low as $5 and they are brand new and for extra $ they will install them right for you. IF i would have known about it sooner i would have done that. Check your local paramedics or fire department first then i would search CL make sure though that its not older than 6 years from the manufacture date i would go no older than 4 years just to be safe.
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 4:38 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I would NEVER buy a used one, you dont know if its been in an accident.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 7:31 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Check with the local hospital, they give one away with every new baby around here. I would not buy a used one unless it came from someone you know.
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 7:45 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I would never take a chance with my child's life and buy used... you don't know the history of the seat, how it was treated or if it's been in an accident. If you can't get a regular infant seat... get a Cosco Scenera, it's about $40-45 and fits newborns well. But it stays in the car, not the kind you carry around... but the inconvenience is worth your child's safety.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:03 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• You can get Cosco brand car seats for only $50 at Wal Mart.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2010