Cat fight?

My cat managed to knock the screen off my sons window and jumped out just a little while ago. I woke to the most awful sound of a cat fight. My cat and another male cat (well I assume male) were fighting/biting each other. I ran out to try to get my cat but they both took off across the street, still fighting. The noises they were making were horrible, so I ran after them but every time I got close my cat would jump on the other cat and knock him away from me and finally he chased him off between some other houses and I couldn't get to him. I can't even hear them anymore. Well my question is, what do I need to do to treat my cat if/when he comes back in the morning? He's had his rabies shot but I don't know what other diseases/illnesses they can get from getting bitten. I have another cat and kids, do I need to keep him separated? I can't afford the vet :( What would you do?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 6:28 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Pets

• If the antibiotics are oral and liquid they may or may not still be good, pills should be ok. Go ahead and use just the topical ointment (it won't hurt his eyes!) until you talk to the vet. If you can't take him in now, and the vet is ok with that, just keep an eye out for abcesses (as mentioned) and watch him for a few days. If he only has the superficial scratches, keep them clean (at least twice daily) because cat claws carry bacteria that is always bad for scratches/wounds. I'd suggest checking your windows and screens and see if you can secure them better as well. Hope he does ok!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• If he got bitten and the other cat had feline aids then he could get that. The vet can check for that with a feline leukemia/aids test but if you have the cat tested now it is recommended that you have him tested again in six months because more then likely he will test negative now even if he really isn't. Before worrying about that though when he comes back check him over for wounds. He will more then likely need antibiotics if there is a wounds because those things can get nasty.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:06 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• He should get at least a rabies booster if he has open wounds or you know there was saliva contact ~ which it sounds like there was. If he hasn't had any vac. but rabies/distemper you should talk to your vet about getting the rest. Your vet will know best what is most prevalent in your area. You can wash any wounds with a mild soap and water, but don't use peroxide! Peroxide can damage the tissue more than the other cat did. If you can't get to a vet today, try to schedule an appt. for tomorrow morning, and unless your cat seems to be in distress just make sure that he is drinking and eating normally until than.

If he doesn't have any deep wounds I'd just clean them and apply a triple antibiotic ointment (no pain killer added) until you get to the vet tomorrow.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Thanks for the advice. What do I do for him if I can not afford the vet? He just had his rabies vaccine 2 or 3 weeks ago, but that is the only vaccines he has had. He has not come back yet. Also he has a 6 day supply of antibiotics that he got at the same time as his rabies vaccine to treat bites on him from my other cat, but they didn't get infected so he never had the antibiotics. Can I start giving him those? What about diseases that can be transferred from him to my kids? I know Feline aids and leukemia can not be transmitted, but is there anything else (other than cat scratch fever?) Thanks so much, this is the first time I've had him get out like this and saw him running outside this morning but when I came out he bolted again :(
    AprilDJC

Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Update: Just got him back in the house. He has a lot of superficial wounds on his face, but I couldn't find any puncture wounds or anything like that on the rest of his body. Will be giving him a bath after he has had some time to calm down a bit. He is chilling in my bathroom right now to keep him separated from my kids and my other cat til I can at least call his vet tomorrow because I really don't even have the $35 for a vet visit. If I did I would take him. When I bathe him I should be able to find any puncture wounds easier, that's how I knew my female cat had bitten him was when I gave him a bath. Should I go ahead and do an antibiotic ointment or give him the oral antibiotics or no?
    AprilDJC

Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• keep an eye one him because sometimes the wounds are not found until they abcess. If he seems lethargic, not eating anything like that get him to the vet. As far as the antibiotics go you should never give it to a differant pet with out at least talking to the vet. I would also recommend that you get him his distemper vaccine and leukimia vaccine when you can. Even if he does not outside regularly obviously he can get out at times and it will help protect him from other diseases. My cats are indoors and I still vaccinate them but once they reach a certain age I start going every three years for vaccines but continue to have an anual exam to make sure they are healthy.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i agree. that sounds rough.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 6:50 AM on Sep. 20, 2010