Did you know on average, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends every day?

October is Domestic Violence Awareness month! Please take the time to read, learn and teach others about Domestic Violence.

TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

ny.chica

Asked by ny.chica at 10:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I posted this earlier in the month. Thanks for reposting it.

Domestic Violence is a silent epidemic. It's time for Domestic Violence Awareness to get as much attention as other Awareness campaigns.

LET'S FIGHT TO END DOMESTIC VIOLENCE!

purple ribbon

tinkerbell76

Answer by tinkerbell76 at 11:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• the national domestic violence hot line is 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) 1-800-787-3224 (TTY)

Abuse is a pattern of coercive control that one person exercises over another. Battering is a behavior that physically harms, arouses fear, prevents a partner from doing what they wish or forces them to behave in ways they do not want.

Battering includes the use of physical and sexual violence, threats and intimidation, emotional abuse and economic deprivation.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 10:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I live in a state that the average is even higher except they usally kill the whole family. I grew up with an abusive, alchoholic father so I try to educate when I can.
    One thing I dont think is talked about in this subject is most women will get out of one abusive relationship and just go to another.
    Anonymous

• that is really sad anon. sorry you went through that
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 11:09 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Omg that's soooo scary!!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 11:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I am going to go to college to be a life coach for teen girls, I want to nip the problem in the bud, if you teach them to be strong women then hopefully it will help.
    gavrilmom

Answer by gavrilmom at 11:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• tinkerbell76
    I though of you today. so I reposted in your honor.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 11:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• yeah it' sad that women don't seem to have enough self esteem to see that early on in the relationship there are signs of trouble. like a boyfriend that gets jealous easily or starts controlling how much time they spend outside from them.there are the few times when you don't see it coming. rarely though. women should be taught early on what the signs are. even when girls see the signs and try to get out often end up dead. hear all the time on the news how a man fell in love with a girl and she tried to break it off and came up dead.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• And the propensity for violence escalates when the woman tries to leave. It sucks. I hear sad stories all the time, so am scared off-and-on now still, and it's been almost a year since I asked my abusive husband of 21 years to leave. (He'd been demanding we move out.) At first everything for him was peachy keen, but now he's been calling and acting like I'm the one who's supposed to listen to his problems again...I may have to drop the whole idea of a proper divorce where I claim the abuse as a reason, because he wants to get a no-fault divorce, and he's used to getting what he wants. Anything else, and he feels "pushed into a corner." Which is when he gets violent and out-of-control.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• anon get some help. call that line and ask for advice. good luck
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 12:20 AM on Oct. 19, 2008