I call myself an independent. If I had to choose between republican and democrat, I would say democrat. I would say democrat, because the democrats are more open to hear where republicans are more arbitrary. I am saying this referring to talk shows and the public.

The issue of hearing people always wanting the government, their employers, their landlords, their whatever to take care of them. Too many people will not accept responsibility for their own retirement, health care, education, housing and on and on. Too many people think they can spend irresponsibility, refuse to work at a job that is "beneath them" or work a second job. Then they want to be taken care of. This sounds like a republican way of thinking. But I do believe that there are times that people need to be helped and supported.
I try to balance this in my beliefs, but it is so difficult, no it is impossible with the two party government to have what would be right and just.
What is the solution? Is there any?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 8:02 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Honestly I think both Republicans and Democrats are in the business of keeping the people of our country down. However, neither one is willing to admit to it. One wants the government to control everything and the other wants business to control everything. However, this country's backbone is neither government or business it is the people. It seems to me that we have lost sight of what is truly important here and that is the people. Its not big business' or the government that knows what is best for this country it is the people that do and it seems our voice has been lost. Its unfortunate, but we as people cannot compete in the arena of public opinion when we do not have the funding that politicians and big business' do to let our needs be known.
    dance45133

Answer by dance45133 at 4:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• OP--If you believe that individuals are solely responsible for their own destinies and should not be lifelong dependents of the government, then you are a REPUBLICAN leaning INDEPENDENT!! Democrats are the party that want to keep you dependent and therefore down! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:18 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Republicans are very open and "hear" just fine. What you get this from is the left wing on TV. Republicans do agree with your statement because it is true. There are to many people using a system that started out to help people as a permanent lifestyle. They get help with housing, food and medical and they think it was better than when they had nothing so they feel it's an acceptable life and they don't go out and try to get a real job. Some get extra money on the side from the underground like drugs or prostitution, etc. The people who do this are usually not political but would vote Democrat because the Democrats give all the goodies. Republicans do believe in personal responsibility and what is wrong with that? I compare a liberal to the kid who brings home every stray. They think they can and should help every down and out person on the continent no matter what. It's great but, its not possible, we can't afford it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:21 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• First, why do you have to choose between dem or rep? I too agree with some dem standpoints and some rep. Extremeists on any level are diffult to reason with. My question is, why can't both dem and rep look at what is best for the country and do it? Why can't the American people take responsibility for their own actions? This includes congress. Our elected representives have shown themselves to be greedy and selfish, shit rolls down hill. Americans see how congress memebers take from the country and special interest groups and want part of that for themselves. Yes, all Americans need to work together and stop being greedy or the problems of our country will never get better, IMHO.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:21 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• momx3...

This is why and how the TEA Party came to be! At it's core, the TEA Party is all about taking the best from both political party ideologies and merging them together. However, the way the party system is set up in this country, you HAVE to pick one side over the other. So it's a matter of going with the candidate that better matches your ideals, and HOPING that they don't succumb to political peer pressure when they get to DC!!

I think it's wise to research the candidates that are endorsed by the TEA Party, as they are weeding out the RINO's and socialists from within the ranks, and attempting to "clean house!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:34 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I would find it much easier if the republicans were not so often represented by people such as Rush, etc.

***
    See, that right there is a LIBERAL fallacy...that Republicans seek "leadership" in talking heads and shock jocks like Rush, Hannity, O'reilly, etc.!!

Funny thing about Republicans and conservatives...we're typically WORKING or busy with our families when these shows are on and it is generally not accepted practice to have politically charged radio or TV stations on in the office--you know as you might offend a PAYING customer!??! So, really, who is listening to them!? That's right the SAHMs and libs!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:07 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Arbitrary - as in making decisions based on no recognizable set of standards? That arbitrary? I have to beg the differ. Repubs have a very defined set of standards, principles and values. There is nothing arbitrary about our platform or the planks in it. Now, you may not know the platform but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The principles you named are very repub. Read the party platform and see if you don't find those attributes embedded in it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:59 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I think you are confused. You credited every democrat trait to republicans. And democrats are very good at not letting others talk. I see it on the talk shows on all the news stations.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:43 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• hmmm.... the only republicans i've ever know ( living in sc.... they're abundant) have been set against taking help from the government... they are all successful and work a LOT to stay that way.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:06 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I belong to NO party. I research my candidates and vote according to who i think will best get the job done. at the very least not make it WORSE.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 8:17 AM on Sep. 19, 2010