How can I get my 6 year old son to eat vegetables at dinner? It is becoming such a battle.

Asked by nathansmom32004 at 8:38 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• sometimes kids at that age will pick a battle like this to exert control. maybe you could serve him his meal in stages. veggies first. and he has to take 3 bites and swallow before gettting the next stage of food. remove some of the battle .

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 8:39 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• you can also puree them and mix them into the foods he does eat when your preparing them.

Answer by Princess_s21 at 8:42 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Princess I like this. My granddaughter has decided that green food is bad.
    She is amazing though cause if we get her to taste it, she admits surprised that yes that is good.
    She is such a sweetie.

How about a veggie dinner. Where there are only vegetables offered.

I try not to purchase red meat. My husband sometimes comes home with some.

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:54 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I would find a sauce that he will eat them with, that's kind of how I got started with my children. If it masks the taste they will more than likely eat the food.

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:14 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• How about raw veggies with ranch or creamy Italian dressing that he can use as a dip! Kids love to dip! Just for fun, Tell him the broccoli are trees, the carrots are logs and the cherry tomatos are rocks!! He can be a giant and devour them!!

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:14 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Some times changing the names of food helps.. Broccoli in my house are trees and trees are strong so we have to eat them. Instead of Graham crackers we call them graham cookies.. Best of luck momma.

Answer by candcsmom2008 at 10:45 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• reward with stickers or just cook him the ones he likes.... kids r picky so when they like one thing they tend to stick with that ver trying new things....

Answer by Cynt1020 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My kids loved dips - any kind of dips. Keep trying new ways to serve veggies. We used a light breading and baked them or roasted them and then would offer a low-fat dip (to this day, they will only eat cauliflower this way).

Answer by MomIWant at 8:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Dips helped us for a while.

Also, some nights I would make 3 vegs and one side dish so the options were narrow.... they had to eat of end up hungry!

Sometimes Abby would help pick dinner, so she could pick the veggie she was most ikely to eat.

Answer by science_spot at 9:17 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I don't fight them about it. But if it is something that I know my kids have eaten and liked in the past when they are "done" the food gets saved in the refrigerator and if they want a snack they have to finish their dinner. I also tend to let my kids pick what veggies we have so that I know they are more likely to eat it.

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 20, 2010