Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there a Grandparents law ''visitation'' ???

Ok I don't even know where to start... My Husband and I have a 15 month old and we don't talk to his mother any more for lots of reasons but mostly because she is addicted to every pill under the sun and I got sick of inviting her over for holidays and birthdays and her falling asleep in her dinner or on the couch for hours. So now she is saying how it ''is her right to see her Grranndchhhiillld, thats slirred'' lol. Is that true is there a way she can take us to court to try and get visitation to him?? If so that blows my mind! I've been doing some looking around on the internet and as far as I can tell Florida dosen't support this and I have nothing to worry about. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this. Thanks!!

Answer Question

Asked by Heather10285 at 9:22 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 2 (10 Credits)
Answers (17)
  • depends on the state. in NYS the only way a grandparent can get visitation is if they raised the child while the parent did not, otherwise they have NO right

    Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:25 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

  • i heard of that only if the parents are separated in some way. like say you got a divorce and got custody and he didn't see the kids or and she still wanted to them. i read it briefly. but i don't really think you have anything to worry about. it would cost so much money for that and she probably would lose.

    Answer by lambdarose at 9:26 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

  • no I don't believe there is, I read somewhere in the past where a woman wouldn't let her mother see her kids because she kept giving them candies and sodas and really unhealthy things and making them sick and stuff, and the grandmother tried to fight it in court to no avail. No one has rights to children but the parents. They may argue and try to take you to court, but they are your children and it's your choice and even if it DID make it to court, (very doubtful), you have very reasonable grounds for defense, so you shouldn't worry. Good luck!!

    Answer by gottalovemal at 9:28 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

  • My parents and I had a small rift for a time due to their disrespecting me in front of my children and telling the boys things they were too young to know (thus causing them upset). I shut the door on them and they tried to threaten this "grandparents" law thing on them. I checked it out and fond that I had the right as the boys parent to oversee what influences are in their lives and my parents could not undermine my decision. We now get along, but there for awhile it was a rocky road.

    Answer by MaryWolfe at 9:30 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

  • I do not know about the law.
    But, why cannot you see the grandmother with them. In a very controlled short environment.
    She is sick. Addiction is not a choice. She did not wake up one morning and say I want to be an addict.
    You are depriving these children of their grandmother.
    I understand that you want to protect them. I just think that you could do it in a kinder, caring, compassionate way.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 9:33 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

  • I have seen cases when grandparents have won rights for visitation in cases where their child has passed and the other parent is denying visitation to the grandchild, but other than that, not really. There are grandparents right groups that keep trying to get laws passed to guarentee grandparents visitation.

    Answer by layh41407 at 9:34 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

  • For tootoobusy. There is more to the story then what I wrote about but we did try this and we live an hour away we got the house it was a mess pills all over the floor and a dog that was trying to bite my son. So her house wont work and she cant drive because she crashed her car into a poll. Also I don't agree taking pills are a choice. She also lies about it and says she quit...but thats not true
    ! My son is terrified of her so he's not missing out he has many loving grandparents from my side and his great grandmother from his dads side, so thats not a problem


    Comment by Heather10285 (original poster) at 9:38 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

  • I don't think you have anything to worry about. Even if she tried to invoke "grandparents visitiation rights" or whatever, and took you to court to sue for them, I think you would win, hands down. it seems that you have very valid reasons for not letting her see your child. You are looking out for your child, and any court would see that, and see that you have good reasons, and out the door she goes!

    Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:39 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

  • The simply answer is yes they do have grandparent laws. Each state has a different criteria and it is usually contingent on your relationship with SO (if you are married or not). Google your state & grandparent laws and see if she has a chance to even open such a case. Good Luck and I am sorry.


    Answer by mama_l at 9:41 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

  • It depends on the state, but if she really is addicted to pills then you need to start documenting things so if she does decide to take you to court you can prove she is unfit to have that visitation and they will say no. It also depends on whether the parents are married, separated, divorced, or if the grandparents ever had custody of the child (even if not legally). Addiction is not a choice, but giving into it is. You can stop taking the pills (or whatever else you are addicted to) and suffer withdrawal and what not and fight the addiction the rest of your life. You DO NOT have to give into it. I have an alcoholic uncle who finally admitted it and got help and has been fighting the addiction for 14 years now with not a drop of alcohol. I guarantee if he were to drink at all again he would be right back where he was 14 years ago real quick though. Maybe try to get her some help for her addiction

    Answer by aeneva at 9:48 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.