Praying for others

Would you or do you still pray for someone after they explicitly told you not to? If you do, why?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 9:39 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I would just ask God to bless them and leave it at that. He will deal with them by His will. It is out of my hands then.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 9:43 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I would just ask God to bless them and leave it at that.

And why, exactly, would you do the exact opposite of what they've asked?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:08 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Nope. Why should I? If they have already asked me not to, I would see doing so as a breech of trust and a waist of time. You know that saying about "The Gods help those who help themselves" well, if they aren't even willing to allow someone else to say a prayer for them, how much are they willing to help themselves? So my prayer is a waist of time!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:33 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• No, I wouldn't.

There was a point in time that I would have, along with praying for the salvation of their immortal soul. I've changed my mind. First off, there are several religions that consider it to be very rude.

Secondly, I believe this to be one (of many) reasons people find Christianity so...offensive. The church believes it's right and doesn't respect peoples wishes. This in turn does NOT lead people to God, but pushes them further away. The only thing praying for someone that doesn't want it accomplishes is sending the person who's praying on righteous ego trip. I don't need to go on an ego trip, my ego's big enough.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:01 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Don't have anyone in my life that would so rude as to say that (although I am not the type to say-"I'll pray for you") but if someone did- of course I wouldn't. I have friends of all background and when someone outside my faith says they will pray or light a candle or whatever for me I always just say "thanks".
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:13 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• soyousay - how it is rude to tell someone not to pray for you?
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Don't have anyone in my life that would so rude as to say that

Well, yeah, because it's all about you. In my religion - praying for things is the equivalent of beggings. It's an insult to the gods and to the person being prayed for. This is exactly why you'll see some of the bigger trolls run around here very sarcastically mentioning how they'll pray for me - it amuses them to insult my religion when they know what they are doing is an affront to the deities (and they do know, because it has been brought up to them multiple times). Praying for things is, for lack of a better word, a "sin", and while it's all well and good if you choose to be that disrespectful, it's horribly RUDE of you to drag someone else along for the ride against their will.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:55 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• NO!! That would be totally rude.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:59 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

Well, among friends when someone wishes you well, you just accept it- I am as willing to get good thoughts and gestures from Pagan friends as I am prayers from Christian friends. I have no outspoken friends, we are all pretty easy going. If I did know someone that I know would be offended at the phrase " I'll pray for you" of course I wouldn't say that. Usually to be safe- I just say "good thoughts" or "thinking of you" when writing on a group card or expressing good wishes to someone. I would think it rude when someone means you no harm and you are rude just to make a point.
    As far as people that say "I'll pray for you" in response to saying you are not Christian or whatever- well, that is not intended as a good thought-its an insult masked as a good deed and not the right thing to do. CONT
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• And NP- please grow up- I predicting this at the start of the week- I wrote, when I dared to cross you that you would hammer me for months and I was right- the good thing is responses are so far off the mark and so not who I am about that they are laughable and really only serve to make you look bad- your credibility has really taken a hit here in the last few weeks- what a shame, you were someone that stayed above the personal assaults, but no more... sigh.....
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:09 PM on Sep. 19, 2010