When is the best time to begin potty training?

My dd is 18 months and I have heard you can start then but I'm not sure she is ready. How will I know when to start? We have a potty for her in the bathroom and she will come and sit on it with her diaper on but I know she isnt capable of telling me when she has to go or pulling up her pants.

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 10:02 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When you child is ready and there isn't any moves or deployments or the similar.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:06 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• when you child shoe interest in the potty. Can tell you she went pee and poop. Can dress and undress themselves. Wanting to sit on the potty. If you push to early it can back fire on you. Can go for hours few hours dry.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:23 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Best time is when they show signs of being ready. Make a big deal out of it and let them know how proud you are when they suceed and let it go when they have an accident. Dont punish the accident or they can become afraid of the potty and back track. A good way to intoduce is put the potty chair in an easy to get to place then with her fully clothed let her sit on it while you read a good book there are several books about learning to potty available and can even be checked out at the library. put the books in a basket next to the chair and let her know that you will read them to her while she sits there. Then if she has a bowel movement regualy at a set time start by letting her sit there bare bottomed during that time while you read her a story and applaud her effots soon she will be trained and you can take a vacation with all the diaper savings!
    steveiguana

Answer by steveiguana at 1:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I started potty training my son when he was 1 yr old! And how I did that was by starting slowly and then progressing. At first I would just sit him on the potty immediatly when he woke up in the morning and I did that for probably about a week or two and then start putting him on the potty 3 times a day morning, noon and just before he went to bed! And then you will start to notice that your child is not wetting their pamper and they will let you know when they are ready! My on would grab his pamper in the front when he had to pee and he would grab the back when he had to poop! The key is to be consistent and congratulate your child "Big Boy" or "Big Girl" went potty! It does take time and you cant become frustrated because it can seem like it is taking forever but it pays off in the end!!!
    jezzie1011

Answer by jezzie1011 at 11:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2010