Opions please...

My MIL has stopped contacting us, it's been almost a year. We really don't know what we "did". When my eldest was born, she spent lot of time with him. She had him at least once a week. She came to his birthday parties and as he got older, even though she had backed off on keeping him, she still came to his ball games. We suspect she lost interest in him because he was autistic. But my ds (9) doesn't understand and he's been asking about her a lot. He wants to know why he can't spend the night with her and wants us to call her. Any attempt we've made to contact her has been ignored. I have thought of letting him call or write but I'm afraid she will ignore him and he'll get hurt. I feel my children should know her, but she is the one who walked away from us. Perhaps she doesn't want a relationship with her grandchildren. I just don't want my son to get his heart broken! What would you do?

Austinsmom35

Asked by Austinsmom35 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• Hugs to you! I'm in a somewhat similar situation, except mine is with my SIL. She has never made any real attempts at showing any interest in my kids. She has chosen to keep the distance between my family and hers. As frustrating as it is, there is nothing you can do to change her or to make her want to spend more time with your son. Hopefully, one day she'll realize what a fool she's been and that she's missed out on spending time with her grandson.
    thankful4itall

Answer by thankful4itall at 12:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Wow.... that IS heart breaking. But sounds as if she made her choice. I would still send her holiday cards, birthday cards, etc. so she knows the door is open if she chooses to come back. But other than that, there isnt much you can do.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 10:38 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• that is so wrong. and i wont send her anything. that makeme so mad one should ever do that
    jacobmommy62106

Answer by jacobmommy62106 at 10:41 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Just fill your son's life with so much love he forgets about her. It's her loss.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:14 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I have the same thing with my mother. She does have her own set of problems but doesn't want any help and no longer responds to any contact from me. She's missing out on her grand children's lives as with your MIL but its their choice :-(
    jackdaw

Answer by jackdaw at 6:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2010