Approx. how many words did your child say at 2 years old?

jen282

Asked by jen282 at 10:28 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Not many. My doctor was concerned and requested a hearing test and passed. He started to comunicate at 3.
    rylymama

Answer by rylymama at 10:34 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Well, he's two now, (3 in December) and says about....... hmm.... 200 words. That's just a guess, but at his 2nd bday, he was saying over 75 and it's increased greatly. He says a lot of sentances that are 4-5 words, and can hold a conversation for about 5 minutes without getting side tracked. Most the time he really easy to understand but every once in a while he'll say something only I can understand. lol He needs to work on his "l"s though.. instead of "look" he say "ook", "love" is "ove" ect. But we're working on it. He can make the sound by himself, just doesn't connect it to the words. Oh, and instead of "I" he says "me" (Me really thirsty) and instead of "we" it's "us" (Where us going?)
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Whoops, meant to do spell check on that but hit the button too soon... "Sentences" not sentances...
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Too many to count, but she was an early talker.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:06 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My son is a chatter box too. He had over 100 words at 18 months. I was just wondering because my cousin's daughter is about to turn two and she only prob has about 20 words. And doesn't really put together small sentences. I know that every child is different but I was a little concerned.
    jen282

Comment by jen282 (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My first son, full and complete sentences by 14 months. By 2 he had a better vocabulary than a lot of 5 and 6 year olds. My second son, not a single word by age 2. I started him in speech therapy, and by 3 and half he was caught back up to his peers, and no longer needed the therapy. Each child is different. He may have started talking on his own with out the therapy, but I'm glad I put him it.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:42 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• over 200 hes very talkitive
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 12:11 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• She'll be two next month. I think she says between 20 and 30 words that we can actually understand. She's recently started saying things like, "That's so cool!" and calling her grandma by her first name lol. She says other things like, "Get down/out," "Go bye," "Wow!" "Bottle" (which means her sippy cup now lol), "Blanket," "Chloe" (her grandma's dog), a couple of other names, "Caillou" (that show for toddlers/preschoolers), and a bunch of other things.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My sister didn't start talking until she was 4 - she was sent to a special school because they thought she was autistic. She graduated from Princeton in 2007.

(by the way, she wasn't autistic - were wrong)
    dinaca81

Answer by dinaca81 at 3:10 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Somewhere around 100 I would say. It also depends on the words a parent uses too. My son uses words many 10 yr old are just started to using but we use more descriptive words too.
    candcsmom2008

Answer by candcsmom2008 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 19, 2010