Custody question

My DH and I of eleven years are getting divorced soon. Before we came to this decision...we had planned to move a state away to be near my family. If he doesn't contest it in court, will I be able to move with them. I know he won't contest it

Let me just say...please don't accuse me of "taking my kids away from their Daddy". We had planned on moving a long time ago and now we are getting divorced. It's only 2.5 hours away, so it's not like I'm moving them out of the country. He's also being an ass...not really even caring if he sees them.

If DH and I are on agreement on me moving with them, can the courts keep it from happening anyway? And if so...why would they and for what reason?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you and DH agree they will not have an issue and 2.5 hours away even if he had an issue they would just make you split the drive time. GL momma
    candcsmom2008

Answer by candcsmom2008 at 10:41 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• IF he doesnt contest it, then the courts normally have no reason to stop you from going. But, be on guard anyway though b/c when emotions are high you never know what the other person is going to do. He could change his mind tomorrow. Just saying that b/c my ex pulled every dirty trick in the book during our divorce.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:42 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Thank you both! He has threatened to keep me from moving with them, but he wants his freedom too much to do that.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:49 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• after i divorced my ex husband i chose to move from new jersey to Florida we just had to go to court and do the custody thing i got full and he got part time...it works out perfect with us i have the kids all year with the exception of every other Christmas, 7wks out of the summer, spring brake, and a wk in December....and he calls the kids every night...

iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 10:56 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Ink Freak This is wonderful that you and your ex have been able to do this. I wish that it were that way more often.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:59 AM on Sep. 19, 2010