Yesterday, I put up my daughters hair and she tore it down. She has often done this and I have tried to talk to her and put her in time out etc. She just does it again and again. Yesterday, I slapped her hand. Fixed her hair and told her not to tear it down again. She didn't. But now I am concerned that I resorted to slapping her hand and that she responded to it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD is 2, almost 3. We have been putting things in her hair for the last few months since it finally got long enough. I ahev been known to lightly pop her hand for grabbing at it. She is 2 she has no opinion on how she looks so I feel no need to take her feelings on barrettes into consideration. They are just new and interesting and she wants to touch them and like anything else I don't want her to touch she has to learn.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:11 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Of course it's what she responded to - wasn't that the point?

Seriously though, if she doesn't want her hair up, why are you forcing it? Leave the poor girls hair down, apparently that's how she is comfortable!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:59 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Well if she has to have it up during dance. Have her help you put it up and explain that at dance you have to have it up. Let her comb or brush it. My youngest hates when I do it. but if she brushes it. She is willing to let me help her out a bit. I have also had a child in dance and she hated to wear her hair up. I talked to her teacher about it. Her teacher was nice enough to say it was ok to have her hair down.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:12 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Why does she have to have her hair up? If she does not want it up. Let her wear it down. I would never put my child in time out for that or slap there hand for that. but hat is me. I would sayi"f you don't want your hair up. Then tell me and I will take it out for you. "
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:00 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• She will mess it up and not even want it combed. Yesterday it had to be up for dance. I should have just said combing or brushing because that is where the real problem is. She just does not want it touched. And when you brush it she will just mess it up. Not having your hair brushed is not an option.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:05 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• She obviously doesn't want her hair up, why keep doing it? Maybe it hurts her when you put it up!
    STOP PUTTING IT UP!
    Your daughter is not a dress up doll.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:05 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I am afraid the point of my question was missed.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:06 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• If she has long hair and doesn't like it brushed - have it cut into a cute bob.
    That way you won't have to resort to slapping her hand for a response (and yes that is what she responded to) and you won't have to fight her to get her hair up.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:08 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I do not like that I resorted to slapping her hand and I do not like that she did not respond to reasoning and other methods but did respond to a slap on the hand. That concern is what I am trying to share.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:16 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• why did I get voted down? I was just offering another view? To take a credit away from me b/c Im trying to help?
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:20 AM on Sep. 19, 2010