Disgusted by Meat!

Ok I'm 9 weeks pregnant as of today. Over the last 2 weeks I've suddenly become disgusted by the thought of eating any meat, red meat, chicken, turkey, fish, etc. With my 1st pregnancy it was only chicken I couldn't eat so I don't know whats going on.
Now it's like if it's put in front of me at dinner I could throw up right there.
What are some good alternatives so I can make sure I'm getting enough protein throughout this pregnancy? Any one else been thru this?

jmpeskie

Asked by jmpeskie at 11:12 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Eggs, beans/peas, nuts, and lowfat dairy products are all good sources of protein. Don't overdo soy products, they're full of hormones.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:14 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Don't ask this group what you should eat, that should be a question for your OBGYN. Protein and iron are very important for the growth of your baby. By putting this question out there, your going to get every vegan, vegetarian, and organic food nut on the planet telling you, you shouldn't eat meat anyway. Talk to your doctor!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I have found with each pregnancy different things turn me off. Like this this time. I love mushrooms and I could not stand them for a bit. Google things that good with protein.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Nuts - Almonds, Cashews, Peanuts, Pecans, Walnuts
    Seeds - Sunflower and Sesame
    Beans - Hummus (made from chickpeas), black beans, kidney beans, Chickpeas, Navy Beans, Pinto Beans
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:16 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• You don't actually need a lot of protein in your diet...and dairy definitely isn't the best place to get protein from. Look at breastmilk...only a small percentage of breastmilk is made up of protein and that has to provide for a growing newborn/baby (6%). So I wouldn't worry about protein.

What I would do is ensure you are getting plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and if you don't like meat there are some really great vegetarian and vegan recipes you can do...just do a google search and there are plenty to be found.

Hope this helps.

Also I don't want your OBGYN is like..but my Doctor in the UK is a DOCTOR not a nutritionist or dietician..they don't know EVERYTHING..they know how to do their job..and that isn't to give nutritional advice...and if they do I wouldn't take it for gold.

Also soy made be full of hormones..but so are dairy products.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:22 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Thanks anon I could've done without your input if you're going to be crabby about it. I don't go to the dr until the 30th, and I am able to read what books tell you, I was asking if anyone else has been through the same thing as me. Keep your bitchiness to yourself thanks.
    jmpeskie

Comment by jmpeskie (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I had a 2 week period during my twin pregnancy when I was hating meat - couldn't down any of it. I ate a lot of peanuts, I would have salads with almond, walnut, or pecans added to it. I would snack on sunflower seeds or sprinkle toasted sesame seeds into my salad. I don't like beans so that was out of the question. But I also could handle eggs and cheese so my breakfast was scrambled swiss cheese eggs.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:27 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Yah I also hated meat when I was pregnant. I ate nuts and beans, and drank milk to keep my protein up. Peanut butter is great too (just watch those calories!) It was weird... after I had the baby I just went back to eating meat again like I had never stopped!
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 2:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I was couldn't eat any meat during the last trimester of my pregnancy and was concerned that I had become a vegetarian due to the pregnancy. Not wanting to have the protein happens with some women. My vegetarian friend told me that I should try eating some protein like hummus, nuts, eggs, etc. but not to force it. The baby is telling you what he or she needs. My baby boy turned out fine and weighed in at almost 8 pounds, and I am now back to eating meat. :-D
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 3:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2010