so the dr.

so the dr. keeps telling me tat im 11 weeks but they have not done anything but take my las time of the month. well if they are going by that then i think they are wrong i think im around 13-14 weeks and shouldnt i have a ultrasound or something?

jacobmommy62106

Asked by jacobmommy62106 at 11:20 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You do not have to have an ultrasound. They can be off with it. Since a baby has growth spurts. The best it to go by your Last monthly period. It is the best way to be as close as they can be.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:23 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• They will give you one but try an insist on it. They know what they are doing too. I only had two ultra sounds with my last one. He came out just fine. Also they may be waiting till further along because if they do, do it to soon then all you are going to see is a blob looking thing and that is touching cause you get to see your baby.... However it to them is impractical.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 11:23 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• How many appointments have you had? My second appointment I had an ultrasound done to confirm the pregnancy and set a due date. Not all doctors do this though. Tell them about your concerns and maybe they will do one.
    PerfectLove910

Answer by PerfectLove910 at 11:24 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• 3 dr. appointment and i just think they are way off his is my sceond baby and my other dr. died so i had to fidn a new one.
    jacobmommy62106

Comment by jacobmommy62106 (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• It's normal to date from the last menstrual period.

Why do you think they are wrong?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:40 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• becuase when i date from my last perido it put me at about 13 weeks but they say im not that far. they say about 11 weeks its not that far off i just dont want to miss a test that i should be talking or something you.
    jacobmommy62106

Comment by jacobmommy62106 (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• They may not be doing a ultra sound this early on for you because some insurance companys will not pay for more than two ultrasounds. SOME wont you should check with your insurance company. If they say they will if its needed then tell your doctor your not 100% sure about the dates and you would like to have them measure the baby. They will do an ultrasound to do this. We had to do it this time around and it turned out that the baby was exactly 11 weeks lol. Good luck!!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Well first off dating by the LMP only works if you have fairly regular 28 day cycles. If that is not the case then you should have an early ultrasound to determine due date. You need an accurate due date because most docs are induction happy and will try to induce you exactly at 40 weeks and if you are really only 38 there is no need to e induced (really no need until you hit 42 or more unless there are medical issues). Since you say you are using your LMP and getting 13-14 and the docs are using your LMP and getting 11 I am confused. All the standard tests have a time frame of about 3-4 week window to do so being off a couple weeks is not that big of a deal. If you are really worried about it then asks the docs how they are calculating things and then ask if they could do an ultrasound, but keep in mind that the later in pregnancy the less accurate the due date calcs are from them.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Yes, ultrasound will be more accurate than the date of your last menstrual period. (Not everybody can set a clock by their cycles). We do ultrasounds on all our patients.
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 4:51 AM on Sep. 20, 2010