What do you have against "welfare moms?"

I have seen alot of negative comments about welfare. I am just wondering b/c it was created for a reason. There are some moms out there that have been a SAHM all there life and there husband leaves or dies and this is the only thing that helps them get back on their feet. They cant just sit on their butts, they have to work for it, yes work for it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree...there's no shame in needing help from time to time. you got to do, what you got to do...
    Nora1

Answer by Nora1 at 11:42 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I don't have anything against welfare moms. If you need help I'm glad the system can help you. However, I do think the system needs to be reform to be able to weed out those that need it and those that abuse the system. In my opinion, It should be a stepping stone to help families get back on their feet not a way of life.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 11:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• well, unlike you some of us need both.. i work but i have no health insurance through my job yet.. my boyfriend works an $11 an hour job but here in CA it's hard to get by.. we can barely make the rent and bills sometimes, and we have a baby on the way.. it's not that we're "mooching", it's that we need the help.. and believe it or not, alot of people i know are in this situation.. so it's not fair to say they sit on their butts
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 11:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• but we only get food stamps and i get WIC and medi cal..
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I don't think there's anything wrong with needing a little help to get back on your feet. I couldn't have gotten through school without a Pell grant, myself. It's just that I know people that never attempt to work or do anything other than take a handout. I guess it's just how I was raised...
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I have nothing against those who NEED it. I needed the insurance part for a couple of months a few years ago. I do have a huge problem with those who take advantage of it. They won't better themselves because their benefits will be cut. I even knew someone who talked her boss into paying her part of her salary under the table in large lump sums twice a year so that she could keep her benefits. She claimed from time to time, well I pay my taxes. Um actually no you don't because you claim 2 kids and no income, you get more back from your tax return then you pay in taxes through out the year. I knew someone who kept having kids and refused to take promotions at work so he could keep his family on welfare. I'm sorry but that is crap! Those type of people, yes I have a problem with.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 11:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Yeah, there are those that really need it, and that's what it is for, but there are those that abuse it.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 11:53 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I don't know if the welfare system is the same in every state but were I live you have to show you are working towards getting a job or going to school. If you dont they take it away. (this is cash not food stamps) Anyone can get food stamps that fall within the limit except people that are just not working and not looking, you also have to have an address.
    I wanted to ask this question b/c some moms on here seem to think that they are just looking for hand outs when they usually are desperate and dont really want to even ask for help.
    I know all this cause I help them.
    Anonymous

• yeah i'd agree on those kinds of people..
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 11:59 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Seriously.
    Anonymous