Do you consider "over the knee" spanking or beating?

I've always considered anything like that to be beating, not spanking. But I was reading another post where a woman referred to an "over the knee spanking" as apposed to a "swat on the butt spanking" and she felt they were both different from "beating."

So, I'm wondering where everyone else stands on this issue...

**Obviously, if you don't spank or don't agree with those who do, this isn't a question for you. I would greatly appreciate if all the "It's all hitting" comments were at least kept to a minimum!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:27 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• i consider anything beating if you place your hands on a child - amen ...
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 11:30 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Over the knee - makes me think spanking repeatedly (i.e. beating)

A swat and over the knee are two different sides of the spectrum in my brain.
    To physically lift your child up and set them on your knee for one spank? That's alot of work and alot (too much) physical contact.
    That's just begging for the kid to lash out and 'they get another swat'.
    Mrs.Halloween

Answer by Mrs.Halloween at 11:31 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i think as long as it fits the crime and isn't leaving marks you're making your statement loud and clear, it's all up to the parent how they choose to deliver the spank.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:32 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• You know... Why do I even go so far as to request that those who don't agree with the subject matter simply move on? I mean really? The first response? Did you miss that part or were you just in the mood to be bitchy about things? This isn't a TO or NOT TO post, this isn't a how do you feel about spanking post - it's a simply question for those who DO spank...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:35 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• spanking i think is once maybe two times if its really bad but beating is more then two. but if you put a kid over your knee to me that makes me think its more then two so there for a beating. i dont think you should beat youe kids so you shouldnt do the over your knee.
    jacobmommy62106

Answer by jacobmommy62106 at 11:38 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I spank as a last resort. I personally think my 10 year old is too old for a spanking, so she just gets grounded. I don't have to spank my son often, and I don't spank my toddler, she gets a time out. I have never put my kids over my knee. Too much effort getting them over my knee just for 1 smack on the bottom. I agree with angevil 110%. As long as you aren't leaving a mark, then to each their own. Not my place to tell parents how to discipline their kids.

PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 11:43 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• woot woot angevil53 I concur I hate to see children beat but I see nothing wrong with a good old fashioned ass whooping! My parents did it and I would not be half the person that I am today with out the corporal punishment that I received. Over the knee I do not do as much but when I have to I will.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• This--i think as long as it fits the crime and isn't leaving marks you're making your statement loud and clear, it's all up to the parent how they choose to deliver the spank.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 11:59 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Sabrina, come on, seriously? I like you and all. But lets be real. You asked a question, and you are only asking for one type of answer? You are trying to control answers on a public forum? Not everyone feels the same and the first poster feels how she feels. I don't agree with her but I don't really feel like she said anything wrong. Not everyone believes in it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• A swift swat on the butt is my LAST resort if nothing else has worked. But I try to make sure it's not just me losing control of my kids before I go there. Doesn't happen very much though!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2010