How do you displine a 5 yr old rowdy boy?

My son is just highly active and I do not know how to get him to calm down when he plays with others.. Also how to get him to take things seriously.

candcsmom2008

Asked by candcsmom2008 at 11:38 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Channel his energy - put him in swimming, or basketball, or karate (I did all three with my 5 year old)... Karate was EXTREMELY effective...somehow the sensai got him to meditate (something very hard for a kid who most people thought had ADHD). Swimming and basketball tired him out - give him lots of attention and lots of things to do...it's working for our kids...
    dinaca81

Answer by dinaca81 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Thats a tough one. Try Jo Frosts time out technique for being to rowdy. I checked out her books from the library. It could help. As for how to get a child to take things seriously, if you figure that one out tell me cuz I cant get my son to take his school work seriously.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 11:47 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• You shouldn't punish a child for being himself. Perhaps he can't calm himself down. If it is too bad for you then discuss it with his doctor but don't punish the boy.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Channel energy into sports so he can run some energy out
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 11:07 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Well He is in Karate 2 days a week and He also has 3 days of play dates from 3:15 to 6:15 each week.. Maybe I just need to be a little more patient with him.. TY ladies.
    candcsmom2008

Comment by candcsmom2008 (original poster) at 11:10 PM on Sep. 19, 2010