Gluten-free diets the rage, but why?

Excerpts from article by Michael Hill (AP):
Gluten-free is what low-carb was a decade ago: The "it" diet discussed on daytime talk shows, promoted by hyper-slim actresses and adopted by masses. Unlike some other dietary boogeyman like trans-fat, gluten is not inherently bad to eat. Only a small percentage of people can't tolerate the protein, which occurs naturally in wheat, barley and rye.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 11:44 AM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• A fad diet? I don't think so, not if the person is really serious about sticking with it. Do you have any idea how hard it is to go gluten-free? Aside from the difficulties in locating reasonably priced pre-made foods, the foods' tastes & textures are quite different from what most people are used to and it can be very hard to make the adjustment. If you want to prepare GF foods from scratch, it's time consuming, and if you want to eat out, you need to be sure of every single ingredient & of how the dish is prepared to make sure there is no cross-contamination. Avoiding gluten is not for the weak. People who go GF do so because of a medical need - they feel better, so they stick with it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:11 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• We've actually seen positive results in my middle son who has ODD and SPD when we went to a mostly Gluten-Free diet. I saw mostly because we are still working on it. :)
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 11:45 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Is it a diet fad or is it that more people have celiacs or celiacs like issues?
    I know more people that have endured digestion issues for YEARS and are now avoiding Gluten and now their digestion issues are cleared up. So, fad or not - does it really matter?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:47 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I don't know about all the rage but more people are being diganosied with that then ever before
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I don't know about the fad thing, I know we limit gluten and other things becasue we have seen a HUGE difference in our 2 with SPD and other issues. My son also has a "real" sensitivity to gluten products that causes skin allergies,bowel problems ect. I agree though it gets alot more hype these days for some reason. I htink alot of it started when Jenny mcarthy and others went on air saying it cured autism.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Not sure where this info came from, but actually more people have gluten intolerances or celiac disease (I have celiac) than you would imagine. For me it is definitely not a "fad" but an absolutely necessary diet restriction. While it is a must for me, there are plenty of benefits to limiting or eliminating gluten from one's diet.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:51 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I think that it's becoming more "popular" because more and more people are becoming aware of gluten intolerance as well as Celiac's Disease. I doubt it's much of a fad, although, with the attention that's being given to gluten through this relatively recent awareness, some will think it's "cool" to go gluten-free, whether or not they really need to.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Interesting
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I think there are many people who have digestive issues (and this includes the entire spectrum   from diarrhea, bloating, gas, constipation) that likely have a form of Celiac's disease. Adopting Gluten free or very limited gluten can really help these folks. The immune system is also highly affected-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:07 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• There are many reasons why people are going gluten free: allergies, intolerance, and because the grains have been genetically modified. Frankly, I have been tested & all my tests were negative, but I feel & can breathe a lot better being gluten free. When I was eating glutenated foods, I was winded easily; had bad allergies; chronic lower back pain; and bouts of diarrhea & constipation.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:29 AM on Sep. 20, 2010