How much should in-laws babysit? We get no help.

Dana816

Asked by Dana816 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Only as much as they want... they are your children- not theirs.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 12:08 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Not their responsibility. We get no help, we pay for sitters if we need one. In fact my husbands parent have NEVER baby sat and my daughter is 5.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Honestly I prefer my in-laws to stay out of my life when it comes to my kids.
    I know that sounds mean but I just feel over protective as they had their chance to raise their kids, now it's my turn.
    Do you have some sort of problem with hiring a high school girl? I tend to find high school girls that need the cash.
    Mrs.Halloween

Answer by Mrs.Halloween at 12:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Um, there is no requirement in the marriage clause stating that grandparents HAVE to baby-sit. It isn't their place to babysit. Grandparents are to enjoy their grandchildren, but they are not responsible for offering free sitter services.
    If you need help, FIND A BABYSITTER!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:16 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• my mother is super involved and always has been even when she was working full time and still takes care of my verbally abusive grandma... my dad even offers now that my oldest is 6 and i am on bed rest. having said this, over the last six years i have had to carefully measure the amount of help i do receive as even offers to help are sometimes fodder for resentment.

the reality is that no one is obligated to take care of your kids but you and the people you pay to do the job. and really, would you WANT someone's help who isnt so enthused to spend time with your children... my guess is that when they are willing, they will offer or jump at the opportunity.

however, i do understand--my ex's parents and siblings have rarely if ever helped financially, emotionally, or physically with our son (the only grandchild in a family of fully grown kids for the last 6 years)
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 12:20 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Grandparents don't have to babysit, but I don't get why so many don't want to. My parents LOVE having my kids over, and will take them whenever I ask, as will my FIL. I feel badly for those who have grandparents that say NO to spending time with their grandchildren.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:21 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Only if they want to.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Well non of mine do but none live close..... I dont expect them to either. We dont go out either so I dont have to ask. My husband does not trust any one to sit any how. He is way overprotective. lol
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• As much or as little as they want. My mother helps as often as she can, but she lives 65 miles away. My FIL (no MIL here sadly) helps once they are out of diapers, but it is like once a year. He loves to come visit, but he doesn't watch them often. I see all kinds of grandparents with kids at the park all the time and think it is great and I am surprised at the number of grandfathers with no grandmothers I see too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:30 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• if they dont want to they dont have to. I get no help either! Well I take that back, when i had my 2nd my inlaws watched my 1st, and one time when my (now ex) had a really really bad fight she kept them both for the weekend. but both of those times were like "no one had a choice someone had to watch them"
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 12:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2010