How can I get my divorce, without husband signing papers. He said he will not sign them.

We been married for 12 years and I am tired of drugs addition.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Relationships

• He doesn't have to sign them. Not everyone agrees to a divorce. You'll just file "contested" as opposed to "uncontested". Good luck!
    MojitoMama

Answer by MojitoMama at 11:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Check to see what if your state allows a default divorce.

When I filed for divorce and seved my ex he had so many days to respond. I filed for a default once those days had passed and then the default gave him a fina 10 more days to respond. He responded the day before it was to go to default and it took 11 long expensive drawn out months to finalize the divorce.

tinkerbell76

Answer by tinkerbell76 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• He doesnt have to sign them but it takes longer!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• You posted anon, but there's no reason to. A lot of us go through the same thing, and there's no shame in it. It would help to know what state you're in so we can give better answers. I'd say that drug addiction would be a good reason for divorce, especially if it causes abuse.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• You don't have to have him sign the divorce papers. You can divorce someone without their consent. I've been where you are. I was married to an addict for 10 yrs. It is NO picnic (to put it very mildly). I've been divorced for 3 yrs and now I'm "living". If you want to chat, I'm always here. Good luck! Oh, and my Ex totally ignored the papers and also didn't show up for court, which actually worked in my favor!
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 1:44 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• If you have children or own property, hire a good divorce lawyer!
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 9:21 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Most addicts don't want to give up what they have. They think by refusing to sign they remain in control. This is a misconception on their part. As stated, you can have a divorce without his signature. Tell your attorney he won't sign and he'll have the Court take care of it. Like previously stated also, if he doesn't appear (and probably won't) you win by default and get everything you ask for ...so ask for a lot! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 10:14 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I, THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR ANSWERS AND SUPPORT. ON GETTING MY DIVORCE
    Anonymous