How to keep son from chewing on shirt collar?

He has ripped of his plain t-shirts.

queen.bee

Asked by queen.bee at 12:21 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Honestly - I'd give him gum. And I'd go to the school about allowing him to chew (quietly) gum during class to keep him from chewing on his shirt. Had a friend that has had to do this with her youngest son. She was paying a fortune for t-shirts to keep him dressed nicely because he'd chew them. He wouldn't chew button up shirts though so he wore those a lot too. But t-shirts and polo shirt collars were toast. But the gum helped....trident sugar free gum.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:25 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• popcornMy daughter does this......

agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 12:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My son was doing the same with his long sleeve shirts. Constantly chewing on the cuffs. I gave him gum and straws. With my son it was molars coming in and he finally stopped. But I still keep a supply of gum and straws and I told him that unless he wanted to go to school with no shirt then he needed to work with me to stop destroying his shirts.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My son is 6 and still does this some, it has slowed way down. We always kind of blew it off as one of his sensory seeking behaviors and never pushed terribly hard to break him of it. Don't get me wrong we told him it was gross and offered other options like gum and straws. we just never really pushed really hard. I am glad to hear that other kids do this to!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• All of my boys do this. I just prompted them on stopping and left it at that.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Thanks! He hasn't lost his top teeth yet, so I'm thinking he is teething. He was down to 2 T shirts, I just bought him 5 more.
    queen.bee

Comment by queen.bee (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2010