I was told that I needed to take 325 mg of iron a day because my iron level is low. I Totally knew something was wrong because I was OVER tired.

Well, the iron pills make me so SICK no matter what I do. So, I avoid taking them becaue I HATE the way they make me feel. Are you taking them or did you have to ? What did you do to keep from being sick! I have Tried everything I know!

smarie1011

Asked by smarie1011 at 12:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i take them but NOT as regularly as i should... try adding cashews, organ meats, lean red meats (steak) and special k to your diet. all are high in iron *organ meats like LIVER are REALLY good and if you cook them with TONS of onions and tell yourself "its for the baby" it really helps
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 12:25 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I had to take them I don't know the dosage, but that sounds like a lot. I took slow FE or something like that at the drug store. I took it a night before bed.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 12:26 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• You HAVE to take it WITH food!!!
    Organ meat may have lots of iron, but it is not good for you.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:27 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• specifically, take iron with OJ... it helps with absorption. that's first semester nursing school stuff... but my OB and Maternal Fetal Docs RECOMMENDED organ meats and steaks...
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 12:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• oh, and try taking at night right before you pass out. make sure you take at opposite time of day that you take your prenatals
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 12:30 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Ask the doctor if there is something else you can do or take. I had to stop taking prenatal vitamins because they made me so sick, I threw them up everytime I took them. I took them with food, milk, whatever. I know spinach is high in iron.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• ask your doc that best may give something different
    babymom596

Answer by babymom596 at 1:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2010