Do you ever experience this........

When my husband, son and I eat dinner at a restaurant where you are served and the waiter or waitress expects a tip........are you ever overlooked? The female servers always bring refills for by husband and son without asking but if I want a refill on my drink I have to ask. What is with this. My husband gets so upset when they do this to me that if he has to ask them to refill my drink and not his or our son they get a tip of strong words at the end of the dinner and nothing else.

emerald53197

Asked by emerald53197 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Shopping

• yes i've noticed this lots ! when i go anywhere with my parents, my dad gets pampered....the waitresses have even puts the napkin on his lap for him !!!! but mom and i are ignored....one time i said why don't you let mom pay for the meal at the end and the waitress will figure out easily why she's not getting a tip....and sure enough when mom pulled out the credit card, you should have seen the look on the waitress' face ! i think they assume the man is paying and give him all the attention ! the only time this was reversed was when we went to quebec and i was the only one that attempted to speak french....then i got the attention and hubby was ignored !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• yes this has happened to me also or they wait till right when your done and finally bring you a refill when your getting up to leave ! I always end up drinking off of dhs drink !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• No, can't say that I've experienced that particular scenario. However, what we have experienced is a waiter/waitress that disappears as soon as the order is collected and never comes back except to drop offf our food or the check. So, not only do we not get refills of our drinks, but we get no service at all.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:54 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• no I have never experienced that....I have never heard of that happening to anyone. Sorry that hppened to you
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• yeah that sounds silly. does your husband drink faster than you? do you order drinks that aren't free refills? is your son's drink in a cup that the waiter can't see when getting low? all could be reasons you feel ignored, idk
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Only when I am with my ex and we have a male server. He seems to attract every gay male server. He gets amazing service while everyone else has to ask for what we need. I even told one guy that if he wanted a tip, he needed to pay attention to the people that were paying for the meal..the women.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I have not experienced this. I think waitresses do this sometimes because they assume the man is paying. Its bad service, IMO.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 1:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• This does happen to alot of people. I was a waitress for 5 years and have recieved that treatment as a costomer. Unexceptable! I never did that! My advice, since you dont want anything done to your refill, leave 1 penny on the table befor you leave. It's a nation wide symbol to waitstaff meaning "you're not worth 2 cents". It's a bigger insult than no tip at all.
    chris_1988

Answer by chris_1988 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2010