How did you make the call? What was first meeting like? (To a Therapist)

How did you get the courage to make the call (1st step is the hardest)?
How long did it take you to actually call?
How did your 1st meeting go, what happened?

Share anything else you would like :)
Ive been looking at a therapist website for a few YEARS now. But Im hoping this week will be THE WEEK...
I have anxiety & just thinking about the call. the first visit is overwhelming.
(pls bump since alot have not had therapy before, thanks)

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Health

• You can do it! You will feel so much better after you go. They are trained on these situations so they will make it easier for you, you just have to get yourself there. Int eh first session they will ask you a few questions and you just have to answer if you can. Write down the information so you are ready when you make the call. This is ______ I want to make an appointment. I have never been here. They will ask you a question or 2 and then they will want to know what days are best for you. You can even tell them you have anxiety and would like to get in as soon as possible. On the day of the appointment it is normal to be anxious, you just have to drive there and once there you just have to walk in to receptionist, give your name. That is the harderst part..once you see the counselor I bet you will feel relieved. It wil get easier each time!! You can do it! you wont regret it!! Make the call!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:15 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• The first time I ever called a therapist was over 20 years ago. So I don't remember the details. but I felt SOOO much better after meeting her for the first time.
    I have tried therapy about 5 times all together over these 20 years. Meeting a new person for the first time is the hardest, but one silly anecdote: one of the therapists needed therapy and I felt like our appts were more about her than about me. No one is perfect.

kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I didn't make the call. I made my husband do it. He was on the phone probably 15 minutes setting us both up (separately though) to go. At my first appointment, things went really well. Just went over why I was there. I recently had to switch therapists and my first appointment was basically the same.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Well technically my first therapist was in group therapy in an intensive outpatient program when I took myself into be evaluated at the hospital. (i'm bipolar, severe social anxiety, depression..it all came to a head lol) anyway at my discharge from there, that therapist called to schedule my outpatient appointment with my personal therapist (my first) They called me back with a time and date. But don't worry, it's not like a regular dr. scheduling, they won't say "so what do you need to be seen for" lol If they did they would get an ear full lol. The first visit she asked basic background info. Marital status, kids, childhood info, siblings. How my life was growing up, and my teen years. You don't just dive into your problems. They will ease you into everything. It's not as scary as it seems, I promise!!!
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 4:19 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I'm in the same predicament. I've been thinking for months that therapy would help but I can't seem to get up the nerve to make the first call. maybe this will be the week!!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 7:20 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• There are some people in this world that will not belive in the Therapy world of going into talking to a stranger and thinks that is what friends are for. I belive in therapists. They are the ones for some reason that really seem to make me feel better after an hour of a session. You have nothing to loose for going to see one. Just call. It will take sometime linto getting used to having someone ask you alot of questions at first. But then, you could be like me and could not wait till the next one. And one thing else, you will at times not have a good session, but don't quit going just because of one bad day.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 8:19 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I never talked to a therapist before but I had to make the 1st call to talk to my pastor and she really helped me out. Be like Nike and just do it. gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 6:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• OH i forgot too add.... My appointments at first were all made for me till i got older. Now i make my own.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 8:20 AM on Sep. 20, 2010