i have so much spices..what do you do with all your spices?

well obviously i dont know much of what is out there to store my spices properly but i just sit them in my cupboard, sometimes they get knocked over and its just a big waste of space to me.

i kinda look like im a professional cook with all of them lol

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 1:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We store them in our pantry until we find a spice rack that we like so we can hang it above the stove.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 7:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I had a spice rack with a variety of them, but you know they only stay good for so long. I emptied the jars eventually. Now I only buy the spices I actually use.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Do you want to know how we store them? If so, I have a small cabinet dedicated just to my dried herbs & spices, with shelf space for specialty oils & vinegars too. I have a multi-level cabinet insert that allows me to store more items in less space & be able to see what's in the cabinet without having to move everything around. It's sort of like stadium seating for my spices. I also keep them in their original bottles & date them when I bring them home so that I know what's too old & needs to go.

If my cabinets were bigger, I'd love to put magnet strips on the inside of the doors & store my spices in tins that would stick to the magnets. Everything would then be in easy view & easy reach.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:18 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I only have the ones I use - I don't have any that I don't use. I have a lot, lol! When people that lived here before us put up a new set of cabinets they had a small spice cabinet put up with it - so I have a cute little cupboard with a shelf-thingy in it (wire rack) that I keep mine it, in their original containers.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 1:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i have a little lazy susan I keep them on.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:14 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Spices can get too old. It is a good rule of thumb to toss ground spices that are older than a year and whole spices that are older than two years according to the Ohio State Extension Service. I bet that will cut down dramatically on the number of spices you have. I found a cd storage shelf unit that looks like a small bookshelf unit and is about 5 foot tall at a yard sale. I call it the worlds largest spice rack. I use it for all my cookbooks, flour, sugar, and most of my spices. I have a spice rack with spices that are used for grilling by the back door.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:18 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Spices do go bad over time! I only keep what I use regularly. Anything else I give to a friend or toss it.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 1:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Um using them is a good way to get rid of them. You only have them just to look like a good cook?
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 2:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• lol no...i do use them just not a lot. haha. i could get rid of a lot since some are very old, that is a good idea. i like some of the storage ideas listed too
    americansugar80

Comment by americansugar80 (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2010