When should I take my sons sassy away for good?

He just turned 3 years old. I dont have a problem with him having his sassy at home just not when we are out places. My husband seems to think differently an takes it away when Caden wakes up. i think its his comfort and i dont want to take it until hes ready. what do you think?

lilwardy1126

Asked by lilwardy1126 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Are we talking about a binky?
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 1:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• No good for his teeth. Tell him you are going to take it to the hospital for all the new babies, that is what I did. Make it fun!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I'd limit it to just nap and bed time, but that's just me. When I took my son's away I had him put it in the gabage himself so he knew it was really gone.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:25 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• in my personal opinion I dont think they should ever have them. My son never had one.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• If you choose to use one, just like bottles, all childeren should be off them by 12 months of age. Trash them and take a couple nights of crying.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My girls never really used them but one sucks her thumb and the other sucks her middle two fingers. I think thats much harder to break because you can't throw away their fingers! lol I think that by 2 they for sure shouldn't have one. And I agree with Skittles that if you throw it in the trash then the temptation isn't there and he can see that its gone. I believe he is too old for it and it will mess up his teeth, if it hasn't already. My oldest is 7 and the dentist said she is going to have to have braces because of her finger sucking.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• it's time for him to learn to comfort himself, not use something else to do it. you can also help by letting him know you are there for him during this transition
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 1:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• What is a sassy. If it is a pacifier, I think it should be gone by 3. If it is a blankey, I would say it is okay for that to continue at night.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:07 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• If it is a pacifier,...you should take it now.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:54 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• What's a "sassy?" If you're referring to a pacifier, or commonly known as a binky, I think that it should be taken away or the child be weaned off of it within a year of their first teeth showing up. I accidentally lost my daughter's pacifiers (and of course, it had to be a super expensive brand of pacifier that I could only get in a Pooh Bear bottle set at Walmart) for about a month. I eventually found it in the base for her car seat. When I tried to give it to her, she wanted nothing to do with it.

If your son can understand being a "big boy" you can tell him that he's a big boy now and doesn't need pacifiers anymore. Only babies need pacifiers and he's not a baby. This kind of conversation has helped me get rid of a lot of baby stuff my daughter liked to play with and/or use. This is how we broke her from the nightly bottle of milk. We told her she was a big girl and only babies need bottles.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2010