When I become more in-shape, will I still get out of breath when I climb hills and flights of stairs?

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 1:23 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• No, eventually you will adapt to doing all that, but it will take time. Partly because the loads you are carrying are constantly changing, so it's an inconsistent challenge to your body, and partly because these activities are not targeted to specific body systems and your exercise is haphazard. Maybe if you work in a little exercise that is targeted to your specific needs, you will adapt to all the hill & stair climbing more quickly.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• No you won't, you will do it effortlessly with energy to spare...

Answer by older at 1:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Not really enough info here....I mean, if you have a COPD or asthma or a heart condition, etc., you may still get out of breath climbing stairs, even if you are in great shape.

Barring any medical issues, and if you do aerobic exercises that give your cardiovascular system a good workout, too, then yes, you chould be able to climb hills & stairs w/o getting out of breath.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:25 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• This---No you won't, you will do it effortlessly with energy to spare...
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Well any extrenuous activity is going to cause you to lose your breath (like walking up hills and then 4 flights of stairs with a baby and heavy bags of groceries!), but it's easier if your body is in great shape.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• The more in shape you become the easier to breathe, if you are doing regular excersise and eating healthy but it doesn't go away I would make a drs appt to make sure your not missing something. I have asthma and the more in shape I am the more under control it is but that is not true for all and you don't want to miss something big or small. Good luck!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Not at all. Things that seem difficult now will be super easy once you're in shape. Just keep at it with your weight loss and healthy eating habits.

Here's a good example: When I started Navy boot camp, we went through an obstacle course, which included a hanging rope that you had to climb all the way to the top. I wasn't in the best shape of my life. I had okay leg strength but I had literally nothing with my stomach/abs or my arms. I barely made it to the second or third knot in the rope. Fast forward about six weeks (then, boot camp was 9.2 weeks). I got to the rope and I ZOOMED up that rope. We did PT (physical training) three times a week, sometimes five, including 8-count jumping jacks, mountain climbers, push-ups, sit-ups, and running a mile-and-a-half. The food wasn't the greatest, but this proved that so long as you get what you need (the vitamins, the protein, etc. in moderation), you'll do it.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Things will get easier as time goes on.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 2:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I think it really depends. When I was in really great shape, I still got out of breath if I took a hill or staircase too fast, or if it was really big. But in general, going up one or two sets of stairs, or a small hill, I didn't get out of breath.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:20 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• No, it will get better and you will be so proud of yourself!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2010