My husband and I are 43 years old. We have a 7 1/2 year old. We want another child but feel too old now. Main problem, when child is 10 we will be 43. When child is 21, graduating from college we will be 64. We won't feel like a parent, but a grandparent. Any advice?

Pregnancy in your mids 40's.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• all i can say is that my great grandmother got pregnant with my grandma in her late 40s and while my grandma had a good child-hood, she also lost her parents at an early age and never really got to know them...nobody can say 'dont have another' but maybe its not fair to your child... good luck to you
    Nora1

Answer by Nora1 at 12:00 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Have you thought about adoption. This way you have another child, but they can be older. There are so many out there that need good homes. If you are wanting to experience the baby phase again, you might look into fostering young children. So many kids out there could use a loving/caring family where they are wanted. Hope this helps.

Oh, it might take awhile, but you could just wait until your child has a child (then you get to spoil them and send them home...lol).
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 12:02 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I don't think you are too old at all!! If you want another child you should follow your heart and have one-age shouldn't be a factor regarding this decision! I personally wouldn't worry about feeling like a grandparent. A lot of people have children in their 40's.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I say that you should have another. My mother was in her forties when she had me. I had a great childhood. If you have the ability to have another - you should before it's too late.
    rivmom

Answer by rivmom at 12:10 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My dad was 50 when he had me and he's 74 now, still strong..
    2precious2

Answer by 2precious2 at 12:11 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I know I couldn't do it but many people these days start late for many reasons. So, you wouldn't be alone. It would be nice to have a sibling for your child. Even if at first it may seem hard it will be blessing in the end. My Mom has five brothers and the youngest is only two years older than me(38). My grandmother had her last one in her late 40's. And my grandmother never regretted it and probably would of had more if she could have. Do what you feel is right in your hearts.
    Cindrella72

Answer by Cindrella72 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I don't think the "age" thing is a valid enough reason not to have a child. Your only 43 the new...what 32?? LOL Since your only child is only 7, you won't run into my situation of being 44 and raising grandkids! A few years ago we discussed having another baby...but then we got hit with a few grandkids that needed us. So now I feel like a "mommy" to a 3-1/2 year old, a 2 year old, and a 22 month old! Long story...LOL So I say go for it. Age, IMO, isn't a factor.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My mom had me when she was 48 years old and died when I was going to turn 5 years old. Personally, I feel like none of us know when we are going to die, regardless if we are 21 years or 62 years. But if I was 48 years old, I wouldn't have another baby. Life without a mother is hard. Just my opinion.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• It depends on how healthy you and your husband are. Age is a number. At 43, you can be young and vibrant, or your body can be worn and ravaged. You have to be the judge as to how you have chosen to care for your body. If you want a child, you and your husband need to go for a complete physical ASAP. Get your cholesterol checked, etc. If you are deemed healthy, get started right away. At 43, you may have a very hard time getting pregnant on your own. Most people past 43 need IVF to get the job done. Having the medical exam first is the fair thing to do before you make your decision.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 1:22 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• too old.....simple
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Oct. 19, 2008