Does having a college dregree ensure a job? What are your thoughts?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 1:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• College does not insure a job. But it has been proven that college graduates earn considerably more in their life time and are usually happier with their career.
    Commitment, determination, and responsibility can insure a job.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Nothing ensures a job, especially these days.

Being able to show that you have a good work ethic and giving it your all will help. A college degree may give you a better salary; and, of course, there are certain jobs/careers that require higher education.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:52 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• No, many of my classmates still do not have a job. We graduated in December..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• no.... i don't think so....
    Cynt1020

Answer by Cynt1020 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• not always,
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 1:51 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Not always. You can have a degree from a good college in a good program, but many jobs today also want EXPERIENCE. I'm on the other side of this coin. I have the experience but not the education. Unless you have both, many of the higher paying jobs you might want, won't touch you. If I were you, I'd shoot for the lower paying positions so that you can get the experience required for a lot of higher paying jobs. Sometimes, the lower paying job becomes the higher paying job, depending on how long you're working there.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Just because you have a college degree does not ensure you that you have a job. There was a news coverage special a couple months ago. This lady had two phd's... (which I didn't even know was possible but she did) and she could not find work.. She even tried to just go to a supermarket to have some kind of income. They refused her because she was over qualified.
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• No. It depends on what type of degree you have and if that certain job is in high demand in an area. Take me for example I wanted to go to school for a couple of things, graphic design, culinary, and journalism. But I live in an area where I MIGHT be able to find a job but I will be getting paid as much as I would working in a grocery store because those specific jobs are not in demand in the small county I'm from.
    mama28th

Answer by mama28th at 1:57 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Absolutely not. I've met plenty of people with college degrees who are complete morons and are destined for the fast food industry. And I know plenty of people who do not have college degrees who are very bright and have great jobs high up the ladder.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• No, unfortunately it doesn't. There are many that have a college degree but are still unfortunately out of work, or not able to find jobs in their field.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2010