What is a GOOD and easy fondant recipe for cakes

how long does it take to make and all that jazz

SammiGirl07

Asked by SammiGirl07 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Use lots of shortening on your hands when working with the fondant. It will not stick to your hands if you put shortening on your hands first. Also, put icing sugar (powdered sugar/confectioner's sugar) on your work surface to prevent it from sticking to the surface.

Recipe: Marshmallow fondant
    2 cup mini marshmallows
    2 tbsp water.. (or more if needed)
    3 cups powder sugar (if still sticky, add more)

Measure marshmallows in a standard 1 cup measuring cup and push down and pack them in. Place in a microwave safe bowl and add the water. Put in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds. Just long enough for them to soften and puff up. Take out and stir with a spoon until it is combined well. At this point it looks kind of soupy. Then add the sugar and mix and fold until all is incorporated and it is no longer sticky.

Cont...
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 2:39 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I take it out of the bowl when it gets to the point where most of the sugar is incorporated and I knead it in my hands. This takes roughly about 5-7 minutes.

Take a fondant roller or a regular rolling pin and roll out. After I roll a few times, I lift the fondant slightly and rotate it. I keep rotating it quarter turns while rolling so it doesn't get stuck to the surface I'm rolling on.

Oh, if you are going to colour the fondant, put the food colouring in when the marshmallow mix is soupy and stir. It will be much easier to colour it this way. Or, if you need different colours, then yeah, knead it and separate it later and colour it then. It will take longer to colour it, but it works. Don't forget to keep checking to make sure the fondant doesn't stick to your work surface. If you need to, lift and re-powder your work surface.

Cont...
    makelineerror

• Put icing sugar (confectioners sugar) on the roller/rolling pin so it doesn't stick to the fondant either. Measure the sides of the cake and the diameter of the top of the cake. Add 2-4 inches to that measurement and roll out the fondant to that size. So, if you have an 8 inch pan that is 2 inches deep but you have 2 of those pans that you're using, it will be a 4 inch high cake. So, 8 + 4 + 4 + extra 2 = at least 18 inch diameter circle. It seems like a lot but you need the fondant to cover the entire cake and not have it be too short.

Cont...
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 2:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• When you've rolled out enough, and are ready to cover the cake, roll it up over the rolling pin (it won't stick to itself) and bring it to the back of the cake, and slowly unroll it over the cake. Start smoothing it down over the sides and make sure there aren't any creases. I used fondant smoothers for this. This takes some time and practice. The longer the fondant is when draped over the cake, the easier it will be. This is why you want to roll it out so large. It's hard to explain but I hope you get it.

Cont...
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 2:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I usually brush piping gel around the bottom of my cake (right on the buttercream since my buttercream is usually a crusting one and isn't sticky when I put the fondant on) so the fondant has something to stick to when I put it on. Or, if you don't want to use or don't have gel, it will still stick to the frosting if it's a bit sticky. When it's all around the cake, use a pizza cutter to cut the excess off from around the cake.

I think it might have been easier to just post a link to the recipe instead of the wall of text. I think you can also use marshmallow fluff.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Marshmallow-Fondant/Detail.aspx
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 2:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• awww t hank you soo much!! i will have to try that!
    SammiGirl07

Comment by SammiGirl07 (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2010