Could she really have an eating disorder?

So my eight year old daughter, yes EIGHT, seems to have issues with food. I asked her once last year, at 7, why she doesn't like to eat much and she said because she doesn't want to get fat ( I was shocked), then a couple months later she was asking how many calories were in things. RECENTLY when it's been time to eat she complains of severe stomach pain, even cries and says she's not hungry, many times she has even thrown up. She also NEVER wants to eat......anything. If I don't constantly remind her or make her eat she wouldn't, she is VERY skinny and her hair is falling out. Occasionally she asks for a snack, but then she chooses a nutri-grain bar or a string cheese, not that there is anything wrong with her choosing healthy things but along with the rest of the above I am getting really concerned, isn't she a little young to have an eating disorder, could all of this be pre-empting one? HELP!!

Liz30355

Asked by Liz30355 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Body dysmorphic disorders can begin at very early age. It is more typical in Tweens but 8 is certainly not unheard of. From what you describe she needs medical attention. Start with the pediatrician. You may need to fins a psychologist who specializes in eating disorders. Listen to your instincts Mom.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I agree with Grneyed. It is not unheard of for a child even as young as 4 or 5 to have an 'eating disorder' Talk to you rped now before it gets to far out of control. Good luck
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Get her help now.
    Pediatrician needs to be called immediately.
    Good Luck momma, you're little girl and you are in my thoughts.
    Mrs.Halloween

Answer by Mrs.Halloween at 3:08 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• She needs help NOW. If her hair is falling out then YES she is NOT getting the nutrition she needs. This is anorexia. 8 is not too young! She needs help NOW! I will be praying.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• No its not to young, especially with how the media glorifies being as skinny as possible. Go to the doctor asap
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 11:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2010