nail biting

my daughter is starting to bite her nails. every time i look at her, her hands are in her mouth, and now her nails are just little stubs. how can i get her to stop?!

emmalouwho

Asked by emmalouwho at 2:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's been a habit of mine for 30 years, I started biting my nails as a nervous thing when I was little while I would lay in my bed and listen/hear my Mom and Dad viciously fight, I never could kick the habit, no matter what. My Mom even put that bitters crap on my nails and I still bit them...... good luck!! To this day I have NO nails and continue to bite away!! =(
    Liz30355

Answer by Liz30355 at 2:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• have u tried that clear bad tasting nail varnish. my bf recently moved in and he is always biting his nail, pulling skin off his fingers so gross and it bugs me so much, my daughter had started doing it too (she always copies him only cute sometimes) and I found the nail varnish brill, its clear and she thought we were just playing dress up so didnt mind it goin on, but the minute she started chomping on her nails she hated the taste so it soon stopped.
    DawnLauren

Answer by DawnLauren at 2:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I used to bite my nails too and my mom would put the clear nail polish on them (tastes and smells horrible if you add some acetone to it) I stopped! Wont hurt them as long as they dont like it lol
    bkodes24

Answer by bkodes24 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I've been biting my nails ever since I was little. Still haven't found a cure. Even the clear bad tasting nail varnish wasn't enough to stop me. Nor was the hot spices on my nails either. Good Luck.
    Mrs.Halloween

Answer by Mrs.Halloween at 3:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My almost 8yo bites her nails. I don't do anything about it. That's 10 less nails I have to trim, lol. She's been biting them since she was 2. That's the last time I trimmed her finger nails...about 6 years ago.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• ive been biting my nails since i was little girl, since the day my mom told me not to bite my nails. that just made me do it more. her and my grandmother tried everything, and nothing ever worked for me.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 1:02 AM on Sep. 20, 2010