Extended Breastfeeding

Seriously what is the big deal? I took my children to the park today, a little boy fell down (about 3-4), his mom picked him up, he was very upset, so she discretely nursed him away from the play ground. Two other mothers flipped out, ripped their children from the playground and left. Why can't people get over them selves and mind their own business?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I love it that I can quickly soothe him w nursing while other kids r still screaming their head off. Screw them!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I think I might flip out on the inside, but I wouldn't make a big deal about it (and I definitely wouldn't make my kid leave the playground - that's a little too extreme)...personally, I think breastfeeding a 3-4 year old because they fell down and hurt themself is definitely not within my realm of things to do...but it's different strokes for different folks.
    dinaca81

Answer by dinaca81 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• If "militant (and many like that name)" breastfeeding moms found out about that they might have a nurse-in at that park to try and get news cameras there to raise awareness of extended breastfeeding and breastfeeding rights.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:04 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Activist would be a better word than militant. The word militant was used to describe breastfeeding moms (along with Nazi) in a book that was pro-artificial feeding.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I think that breastfeeding at that age is going a little too far, but i've heard of a few woman who do it because they don't want to lose that bond that they have while breastfeeding. I myself wouldn't make my child(ren) leave just because of someone breastfeeding, but to each their own.
    mshodges87

Answer by mshodges87 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• People are just plain old ignorant
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I don't really see the big deal either, but unfortunately, MANY people have issues with nursing at ANY age.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:17 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I say good riddance to those types of people. That's more swings for the rest of us.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I do think that breastfeeding a 3-4 year old is a bit excessive. I remember in high school, my cheerleading coach always had her son hanging on her boob and he was like 3 or 4...he would come up and lift her shirt right up....we all thought it was weird. I think if they can climb on your lap, lift up your shirt and unhook your bra, they're probably too old, but hey that's MY opinion. I would never push my opinion on another mother and her child and certainly wouldn't run off the playground like there were people having sex. That's ridiculous. That's weird....sure we may think breastfeeding a child that age is weird, but I certainly think running off the playground for this reason is much stranger.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:01 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• That mom certainly had a moral right to do what she did. I don't agree with her decision, but I get no vote.

I might leave if it made me and/or my kids uncomfortable.

Moms might like the bonding, but the poor child gets stuck with a name like Milkman when other kids realize what's happening - maybe not fair, but most kids aren't.
    Maureenmich

Answer by Maureenmich at 11:58 PM on Sep. 19, 2010