baby oil or baby lotion for cradle cap

my one month old has really bad cradle cap and i'm wondering if baby oil or baby lotion is better to treat it. also she has a full head of thick longish blonde hair and i'm wondering if baby oil will make it look greasy.....oh and anyone who says breast milk is getting voted down cause breast milk is for feeding, it's not this magical cure for everything and it most certainly is not a moisturizer

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We always used lotion.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:16 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Oil will break it up better, but lotion is definitely easier to wash out. Or you can use breast milk (just kidding.)
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:21 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I used oil but DD's hair wasn't that long. Her's was maybe an inch. it will make it greasy but you can always wash it too. Either way I think both will work.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• When using baby oil for cradle cap, you are supposed to pour it on, leave it on for a half hour, gently scrub it, amd then rinse it in the bath. My son had cradle cap and this method did not work for him but it did for alot lf people i know. I used vegetable oil in the same manner after trying everything else. The veggie oil cured it in 2 washes :) If you leave the baby oil on the hair yes it will look greasy.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• put baby oil and then use a comb to comb it out.. it worked well when we uses it for my son..
    bby_sebastian

Answer by bby_sebastian at 3:35 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I have tried everything, and my son still has it a little bit at 20 months old. Cradle cap is my enemy. Maybe by the time he is in college I will have figured it out.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 3:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My little girl had it and I tried baby oil and her hair was super oily. Even after I shampooed a couple times. A friend of mine told me afterward that you arent supposed to use oil on cradle cap because it is caused by too much oil. It didnt really help anyway. she still has it.
    teagansmom10

Answer by teagansmom10 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• OIL
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Teagan cradle cap is not caused by an excess of oil. Their not totally sure, but the theory is that at the end of pregnancy the baby gets too many hormones causing the scalp to flake. Leaving the oil on can clog pours and cause the flakes to stick to the skin. So I wouldn't let it stay on more than a few minutes. Try reading this.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Just start scrubbing their hair harder you aren't going to hurt them. The only way you will hurt their soft spot is if you jam something in to his/her brain but scrubbing their hair will not hurt them.
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 10:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2010