In your opinion~What is the difference between...

Promote and Provide...

As in, "...promote the general Welfare..."

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, I am not sure. I know radio stations in Michigan promote the welfare in ads to call and see if they can share the wealth with you.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:21 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Promoting is something that I would associate with actively pursuing, if you get what I mean... Whereas provide seems like its just offered, just there.

Example... I can provide something by just being there and making people come to me, or I can promote the service by going out and actively encouraging others to use it....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• If you're looking for specifically in terms of General Welfare, the difference would be that things we consider general welfare are merely offered (provided), rather than actively encouraged or promoted....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• To promote something is to ask for something and provide is to have something available or to actually give something. For instance, you can "promote" a charity that needs help to "provide" something. In the terms of General Welfare you can "promote" everyone to wash their hands or you can "provide" the necessary tools to do so. I personally found this question kind of weird because the two terms have never been synonymous for me.
    dance45133

Answer by dance45133 at 3:58 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• IMO, Promote = encourage and Provide = hand out.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I assume you are referring to the Preamble of the Constitution. "Promote the general welfare" means to work toward the common good and well-being of all citizens.
    jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:26 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Promote means to encourage something. Provide is outright giving something.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• JSben nailed it!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• What itsmesteph11 said.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:52 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

good

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:49 PM on Sep. 19, 2010