How to get my husband relaxed enough to watch the kids?

My husband seems to get extremely frustrated when I go to work on my long weekend shifts. He's constantly texting me that our 4 month old will not stop crying no matter what he does. When I'm home the baby is fine, smiles at him and coos. He seems like hes had enough when I come home. Is there anything I can do to change his mind set of this? Maybe the baby senses this tenseness or frustration. How do I get him to be relaxed again.

mamasbboy

Asked by mamasbboy at 3:20 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think that relaxed is a requirement for watching kids. I think he just needs to feel comfortable in that roll. Well that is pretty much the same thing that you said. Really maybe it will just take time. I hope that you get things figured out and maybe another Mom can give you a better answer than I did.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• First off, he should not be texting you or calling you at work unless it is a life-or-death emergency. He's an adult and needs to learn to handle things on his own. Perhaps knowing you'll always answer when he calls means he doesn't have to figure it out himself.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Time and expierence will help him to become more relaxed in this situation. Remember how nervous you where those first few days? That first bath? I was so nervous handling a new born. Specially when they cry and cry and nothing seems to soothe them. He sounds completly overwhelmed with having to take care of baby alone. He will find what works, it might take awhile but he and baby will both be just fine in a short amount of time. Im sure that didnt help, just writing from having been there done that with a nervous dh too.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 3:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Caellaigh: I have gotten to the point of not responding to the texts messages about the baby, hoping he would get the picture but that hasnt set in yet. But I totally agree with you!
    mamasbboy

Comment by mamasbboy (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I just ask him too, no problems on my end. He's a parent too.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 3:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• It's sad that some men cannot seem to get the hang of parenthood. I mean it's fun for them when they can play with the kids, but once something happens (baby cries, baby needs to be changed, etc etc), they panic. I'll never forget when a neighbor ran to my house one morning, screaming that there was an emergency. I ran over to his house and found out that his girlfriend was at work and her toddler had a poopy diaper and he didn't know what to do, he'd never changed one before. Really? It's not fucking rocket science. I'm lucky my DH is not afraid of any of that.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• my hubby cant wait to be with our baby!!! just tell him he has too cause they are his kids!!!
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 7:35 PM on Sep. 19, 2010