babys having babys

so i have been watching the show teen mom on MTV, and secret life of an american teen. and even though my DSis only 2 DH and i have talked about what we plan to do if he ever comes home to tell us mom dad my gf is pregnant. my mom was 16 his mom was around that age and we where 21 and 23 when we found out we where having our DS. so we know it happens and there is always the chance.

so my question of the day for all you moms out there how would you handle this, and have you talked about the what if.

Manda_Evans

Asked by Manda_Evans at 3:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I really don't know how I would handle it. My kids are still young, but I plan to preach prevention to them early and often. I was 23 and had been married 5 years when I had my first baby. I really can't imagine how it would have been to get pregnant before that. Certainly life would have turned out very differently. I hope if I can talk to my kids openly about it, they won't end up in that situation.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:25 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I imagine I would be really upset, but I would do everything necessary to support my daughter. That baby would have a loving home even if I had to raise it myself; but I would hope my daughter would take responsibility. The toughest part would be weathering the judgment from others.

I was recently accused of being a "baby with babies" myself, by a guy who was about 65. He shook his head and acted disgusted. Yes, I look young, but I didn't have the heart to tell him that I'm 26 and have been married 6+ years. He probably wouldn't have listened anyway.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 3:27 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• We had open frank talks with our boys. We advised them to wait, but if they couldn't use protection every time. Not just for preventing pregnancy, but STD's as well. When my oldest was dating several girls at the same time he was always very careful. When he was 19 he began sleeping with only one of them all the time...it was then that thay got lazy. Hw was 19, she was 18. Once the pregnancy exists what is the point of being upset or angry. I have never understood that reaction. I also don't understand parents that throw pregnant teens out. You help them make the best decisions they can with what exists at the time. I hoped it would never happen but it did.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:30 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Until that day happens, I will have faith that my bright articulate children make healthy choices and understand the risks of teens having sex and make the right choice. I feel my kids need to feel like they are trusted becuase they know what the right thing is. If it does happen, I'm here. I'll do what I can. It wouldn't be the first time a teen made a poor choice. I can only control so much, and I will not spend my life in fear of a bunch of what ifs.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I have a 16 yr old daughter so Im right at that age. And she knows how I feel.... we have made no secret of our feelings. Killing your unborn child is simply wrong and a teenage mother is not in the best interest of a baby. We would ask her to put the baby up for adoption. But we have watched these shows together talked and talked and talked about it from all points of view. She knows we would be available and eager to help... but that would be our stance.

Of course you never truley know what you would do unless you were in that situation.... I pray to God my daughter makes better choice than to ever put herself in that position.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• FREAK OUT!! No really I hope that I am able to handle it better than that but I am sure that will be my initial reaction.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:23 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• same here but will be supportive and what not!
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I would probably accept it, have them move in with us, and if we have the space build them a small house in our yard, give them all the tools and help to prevent them from becming another statistis, helping them to continue to pursue their education, and make sure thy are able to do internships, volunteering and everything necessary to have sucessful futures and help them as much as possible with the baby with the condition that they take care of themselves sexually and do not have anymore children until they can stand on their own two feet.
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I had 3 boys and no teen pregnancies. My oldest son had a stillborn baby when he was 27 and has now had a vasectomy. My middle son and his wife have a 24 mo and my son was 25 when he was born and they had been married 2 years. My youngest son is 22 and is getting a vasectomy next month. We have a genetic disease in our family and my grandson has it. My oldes and youngest decided no more babies are going to have it. I may only have one biological grandchild.

They knew all about birth control, all the types, effectiveness, when to get it, how to buy it.  I was a grad student and health science major when they were young and they were always going to health fairs with birth control booths.  I used to work at Planned Parenthood as a lab tech.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:30 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• dont feel bad aliceryannesmom i am 23 and look like i'm 14 or 15 and have been asked as much a lot. so i know the looks.
    Manda_Evans

Comment by Manda_Evans (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2010