In your house: packed lunch or hot lunch?

Do your kids take a packed lunch, or eat hot lunch at school? What about your SO (or you), anyone who works?

DH used to eat lunch at work - he ran a restaurant, so hello lots of choices! - but I started packing him a lunch when he felt sick from all the heavy foods. He actually lost a lot of weight that way. My kids are still toddlers so I guess we'll see when they reach school age! :)

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 3:32 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We always pack lunches.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Kids - elementary half and half. Middle school and High school... they have money on an account for hot lunch, if they want a packed lunch then they need to pack it.

Hubs - in 17 yrs I have never packed him a lunch. He doesnt like packed lunches. I have purchased microwave meals, and misc. things he has requested.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• well, right now it's packed lunch. did you know that they consider french fries to be veggies at schools? yeh, and they give the kids 2 things of fries. (i worked at an elementary school here, and could only eat one of those fries things!)
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 3:37 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My son is only a toddler but I imagine we will have a combo of both. It depends on what he wants to eat and the quality of the food at school. My mom and I used to sit down eveyr month with the school meal calendar and decide which meals I wanted to eat there and which days I would need a packed lunch. That worked well.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 3:39 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I've been thinking about this lately, now that my 3yo is in preschool and brought home some of the paperwork about hot lunches for older kids. When I was in school, I remember the days my mom sent me with money for hot lunch. It was probably only a couple times a month, but I would be thrilled and end up eating some monstrous burrito, greasy fries, and a candy bar. LOL so I have a feeling I'll be packing lunches for my girls, at least for a while.
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• DD is home schooled so I make her lunch every day. I pack SO's lunch every day, except on weekends- we cook together. Sometimes I pak him sandwiches & whatnot, sometimes I pack him leftovers. Its whatever he feels like.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 5:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Mostly gets the hot lunch, but she did pack one day last week
    Wrtngfantasymom

Answer by Wrtngfantasymom at 7:51 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My boys eat school lunch, I pack a lunch every day for myself. Not the way I'd like it to be, but some day they will be gone & I will have the money to eat out then! A moms sacrifice
    Abytome

Answer by Abytome at 8:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2010