how do i just tell her no ?

I have a 2yr.old just turned 2 in july,next year she'll be starting school,but it's very difficult to ween her.sometimes she'll drink whole milk or 2%milk but she prefers breast milk over them both,now her doctor told me that i should have been stopped but it's hard to do,i'll give her milk in a cup she may drink some of it,but she goes back to breastfeeding.i've gone as far as covering my breast & telling her "no more you're a big girl now" & the look she gives is as if u took her favorite dora book from her. PLEASE HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is absolutely NO reason to stop breastfeeding if you and your daughter don't want to. Your doctor is just flat out wrong, sorry to say. Yes, she should have solids and regular milk (whole milk, NOT 2%) but breastfeeding is ok too.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 3:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• The world health organization recommends breastfeeding for AT LEAST two years. I would find a new doctor.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 3:47 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Well, it's hard but you just have to say NO. Be firm but gentle, and find something to distract her. They are your boobies, not hers - she's just "renting" them. But like PP's say, if you want to continue to breastfeed, that's OK too, but if you want to stop, it will be a tough transition at first but she'll get over it in a week or so. Just be prepared for her to look for it in other places - I weaned my DD at 14 mo. because I just couldn't stand pumping anymore (I work 10 hours a day, 5 days a week) and she would try to lift up anybody's shirt... daycare lady's... even my husband's!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:51 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Your doctor is wrong. Breastfeeding is recommended for at least 2 years. For all the benefits of breastfeeding a child needs to brestfeed 3 or more years. Children do not need to drink milk at all. The need to drink water. Milk is for baby cows. If they have milk in their diet, 2 toddler servings are the max recommended. Cow's milk is linked to constipation, digestive problems, obesity, other health problems, and environmental problems. The American Academy of Pediatrics, the World Health Org, LLL or no other group says you need to wean at 2 or 3 or any max. age. Time to stop telling the doc about breastfeeding or find a new doc. Even if you believed kids need milk, breastfed kids don't need any because they are getting human milk (I just read other post). Too much milk in diet not enough other better stuff if they drink cows milk.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:52 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Mothers that work can usually stop pumping after the baby starts solids. The breasts adapt to the baby eating solids while mom is gone and nursing while mom is around. By 10 mo a mom should be able to return to work without pumping or should have been long weaned off pumping. Moms can always call La Leche League about these things, go to web sites like http://www.kellymom.com/ , or go to books LLL recommends like Working Mother, Nursing Mother. I suggest mothers always talk to someone before weaning their child to make sure the reasons for weaning are accurate. In the OP case the doctor is not accurate in saying a 2 yo must wean and it goes against his professional organization's recommendations.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I agree I think your doctors wrong there is nothing wrong with still breastfeeding as long as your family is comfortable with it. If you do want to wean then start cutting out a nursing at a time, when she asks for nursies give her a snack, give her milk, or juice, or take her outside, anything you can do to distract her. It will take a while, but you can get there. Ive been working on it with my 1 1/2 year old, we are down to nap time nursies, finally. But it just takes dedication, lots of distractions and everyonce and a while you can just tell her no, thats not for now, I tell my son now if he asks for nursies that its only for nap nap time so if he wants to go lay down for a nap we can, that way it got him out of the habit of wanting to nurse everytime I sat down.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 4:26 PM on Sep. 19, 2010