The only places my two month old will sleep is in my arms and in his swing, what can I do?

I think I could be setting myself up for bigger trouble when he is older.

youngmommi2be

Asked by youngmommi2be at 12:45 AM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At that age, do what works. I thought whatever I did at that stage would become a habit but it hasn't. Keep trying to put them in the crib and eventually it will work. Use a fan in the room--babies love white noise!! And if you need to get stuff done, put the baby in a front pack or sling. Babies at this age aren't trying to manipulate you, they just need what they need. They will feel more secure if you give them what they need, and then later can make the transition to being more independent. If you try too hard to make them independent now they will feel insecure and be more clingy.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 10:13 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Yes you are but he still only 2 month's. Give that baby what he want's and little by little get him to sleep in he's bed. My baby is 6 mth's and from birth to about 5mth's would instantly fall asleep in the swing. Don't stress this issue and enjoy him you'll see how fast they grow...
    2precious2

Answer by 2precious2 at 12:49 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My little girl would only sleep in my arms it was so frustrating at times. I just kept telling myself that she wasn't going to be small for long and thats how I got through it. I don't feel like you can spoil a baby so I just kept on holding her and walking around the room rocking her. The good news is she started sleeping in her own crib at about 6 months old and still sleeps in there and she is 19 months old. He will sleep in his crib just takes a while.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• And your right. My dd did was the same way..trust me its better if you change those habits now before you end up frustrated like I was. My dd is going to be 2 yrs old in Jan,and she stopped sleeping in her swing when she was almost 10 months..good luck hun...
    Anonymous

• Some babies can only sleep around sound or movement.
    The baby will outgrow it over time.
    It's due to the feeling the baby had in the womb.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• If you are worried about the swing not being appropriate, let him sleep in your room in his car seat. At this age, he is still too young to manipulate you so don't worry. With my first, I was so worried I mess him up, I drove both of us mad by making him sleep in his crib. (He wouldn't sleep without me rocking him to sleep until 16 months old, neither of us got to sleep!
    With my second, I exclusively co-slept with her for the first 3 months and she slept through the night from the get go. Then, she transitioned to the crib without ANY problems after that. She stayed there until she was 18 months then went to a big girl bed!
    Use your best judgement, but you are not going to ruin him by letting him sleep with you, if anything, you will be closer to him and more well rested each day to better care for him and yourself!!
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 12:55 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• my DD is 12 months and when she gets tired, i just lay her in her bassinet and let her fuss herself to sleep. better get it out of your LO's system before it gets worse. with my son he wouldn't sleep unless i rocked him till he was about 4 months, when i finally started letting him cry it out slowly, so by 6 months i was FINALLY getting a whole nights sleep. with my DD, she only wakes up once, instead of like 2-3 times like my son did. she eats for about 15 minutes, and is back out like a light. wonderful.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:11 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• You might consider an Amby baby. It's a bed/swing made for newborns. You may be able to find one gently used on eBay or Craigslist, they are pretty costly new. http://www.ambybaby.com/

Does your baby spit up a lot? When you try to lay him down does he cry a pained cry? That could be a sign your child has mild reflux. Babies that like to be "propped up" sometimes feel pain when laying flat. Another solution to experiment is put his crib mattress on an angle. (Using higher slots on the end his head will be on, instead of keeping the mattress level) Some parents find this gives the baby relief if it is a little reflux.

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:13 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM SHE LIKES THE WARMTH ! TRY TO HAVE A WARM BLANKET IN HER BED LIKE BEFORE YOU LAY HER DOWN PUT A BLANKET IN THE DRYER GET IT A LITTLE WARM LIKE RIGHT BEFORE YOU LAY HER DOWN THEN TAKE IT OFF AND HER SHEET WILL BE WARM TO HER !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:40 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• first get a bear that plays womb sounds. then rock baby to sleep and once he is asleep put him in crib or whatever with his womb bear playing. let him fuss a little but if he starts screaming take him out and rock him again. It starts to work after a while (my one month old is like this)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 6:58 AM on Oct. 19, 2008