Jewish moms...

If someone specifically gives you a Christmas gift do you find it odd? Offensive? Nice? Or do you simply figure they aren’t really trying very hard to be considerate of your faith... but rather self centered with theirs?

I am of a Christian faith and unless I know that the other person is a Christian I will give a holiday gift. I simply dont understand why people are so self centered when it comes to faith that they cannot politely accept that others dont all share the same faith. Seems soooo rude and self centered to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am not Jewish, but I am not Christian either. We do celebrate Xmas but I still get annoyed when coworkers give me Xmas cards with super-religious messages in them. I don't think its' appropriate to assume others are Christian. I think it's rude too, but so many people I know do it that it's a battle I gave up fighting. I just throw them away.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 3:54 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I understand if you have Christian photo Christmas cards (funny sounding huh... they should all be Christian if they are Christmas cards) if you are on a budget. THAT I wouldnt find offensive. We personally do Christmas cards and Holiday cards.... we send the Christmas cards to our family and the Holiday cards to those friends that are of other faiths or whose faiths we dont really know (clients and co-workers)

I would never think of shoving MY religion in someone else's face... really seems counter to the "Christian" way of life. "do unto others..."

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I was raised catholic and currently converting to Judaism. I accept cards and gifts, thank the person, and move on. Most people don't think about it, even the people who know that my husband and I are Jewish. We don't make a big deal about it.

nicole_Evans

Answer by nicole_Evans at 8:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• A gift is a gift and it should be accepted in the spirit in which it was given. If someone loves & cares about you enough to think of you during their holiday celebrations, when there is so much else for them to do, how hurtful & rude would it be to deny them the joy of giving you a gift? It would hurt their feelings & tarnish their joy. It would be a worse sin to be the cause of their sadness and/or embarrassment by refusing the gift. If I were to do such a thing, what kind of person would that make me to be? What kind of example would I be setting for others?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:58 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• very true mom2aspclboy... I wanst thinking that the gift would be refused. I was wondering what the unuttered thoughts were.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I guess I wasn't very clear....those are my "unuttered thoughts" on the matter. I am grateful that someone was thinking of me. It doesn't matter if I share their faith or not (I am Jewish, btw). it only matters that they thought of me during a time that is very important to them. My feelings in the situation don't matter anyway because it is their moment, but even if they did, I still wouldn't be upset or hurt or whatever. How could I possibly be upset or annoyed with someone who cares enough about me to want to share their joy with me? As long as the person isn't openly trying to convert me, why should I care what a card says or what picture is on the front of it? They are just words & it is just a picture - it can only have meaning to me if I attach meaning to it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:33 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• got ya.

I guess I was just VERY put off by someone knowingly sending a Christmas gift (meaning for a Christmas tree, or some other related item) with out thought of the recipients faith. Seems so in your face and self centered. I think gifts should be FOR the recipient.... and if you dont know the recipents faith then it should be faith nutral. 

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2010