How can I get my 3 1/2 year old to recognize letters from the alphabet???

I have tired just about everything she has not a clue what letter is what and it is getting frustrating :(

mommaofemma

Asked by mommaofemma at 3:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• don't worry about it? lots of reading and maybe randomly point out a letter that you see while shopping. "hey skylar! look at the S! your name starts with an s, doesn't it?? it kind of looks like a snake.... sounds like one, too! SSSSSS!"
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 3:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• other examples... "look at the k! it looks like it's kicking doesn't it? like karate. it makes the kicking sound... Kyah!"
    the B has bumps..... c is a part of a circle, f has fingers, g has a swing....
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 3:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I don't know how opposed you are to TV, but my 3yo really picked up on the alphabet from some Nick Jr. shows. I think you can buy specific DVDs that have alphabet-related episodes on them. Once she started showing an interest, we switched to flashcards, puzzles, etc. I think if you can get her interested in even one letter - hey, that's an A!!! - then it's all smooth sailing from there. Once you praise her for figuring out what even one letter is, she'll start rolling along. :)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 4:01 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Use flash cards daily. And stick to just a few letters per day and then slowly increase. Read to your child everyday for atleast 20 minutes. Pick out all the words that start with a certain letter, just like the previous poster stated. Most importantly be patient because she is only 3 and 1/2 after all, lol. She'll get it and I'm sure she is even more advanced than most children because you are giving her that one on one attention.
    socialworker227

Answer by socialworker227 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Repeditive teaching is about the only way that children learn anything. You say a letter while showing them a letter. If your child (and this goes for any child) isn't interested in what they're being taught they're not going to pay attention. Make it into a game, try to make it fun for her.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Wait until she is 5 and hope you haven't caused negative attitudes about learning. Three year olds don't need to learn letters and forcing them can cause problems with their eyes.

Read more about child development and learning. Read some of John Holt's articles on reading. Thomas Armstrong's books are good. His ideas are based on Howard Gardner's multiple intelligences theory.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:11 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My four year old has just started recognizing letters and their sounds. My three year old, too. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Also, I don't normally recommend tv or movies, but my boys LOVE Leapfrog's Letter Factory. After watching it for ONE week they know all their letters and sounds!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• A friend of mine pointed me to a website last week about this. It helps kids to recognize letters AND words, which, in turn, helps them to learn reading. It's www.starfall.com My daughter loves this site. Every day she asks me if she can play on the reading/words game. It goes over every letter of the alphabet, the vowels, ASL alphabet, and the alphabet song. Another link on that site has a plethora of fun worksheets you can print out for them to work on. Another link sends you to a page where the child can slowly, but surely, learn how to read.. word by word, syllable by syllable. I highly recommend trying it out.

If it makes a difference, my friend used this site for her daughter, who's also a functioning Autistic child and it has worked for her.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:18 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Does she have any alphabet toys? My daughter has a wooden alphabet puzzle that worked really well, after going over them with her a few times it started to click.....
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:05 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• My little started recognizing letters from starfall.com. He picked it up really quick from there. WordWorld has been great in regards to teaching him what sounds each letter makes and how to sound out words. We also have a big chart with the alphabet on it and dry erase flashcards. Those seem to help too.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:49 AM on Sep. 20, 2010