have you lost a child?

i have had a couple of close friends lose babies, today i found out one of the girl's i go to school with lost her son and i am wondering what we might do for her and her family. we are taking a collection for money for the baby's headstone, but what else might be better? i put it in the relationship's category for lack of a better one.

angevil53

Asked by angevil53 at 3:51 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• I have lost two children one at 10 and the other was 27. I think that one of the most meaningful things that can be done is to let the mother know that you remember the child and the lose. Not just right after the death but months and years later.
    There was something I read and I do not remember it exactly. But it was something like Remember and mention my child I may shed a tear. Forget my child and you break my heart.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I think one nice thing is starting a schedule and volunteering to help out with dinner or other mundane house chores because the grief does make it hard to keep up, unless she's one of those peopel who has to focus that energy and goes on cleaning sprees and marathon bread baking weeks. just trying to support the normal life processes can be super meaningful. Offering to help with morning carpool for other kids. Just remember that its not going to go away in a few weeks. She's going to need to have someone there to listen for months and years. Just try and be patient and don't get tired of being there for this one issue, if you think you get burned out on it imagine how she feels. She can't make it go away.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 4:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• a baby (still birth) or an older child?
    I know there is an organization here in San DIego that has trained grief councelors that help people who have lost children (mostly dealing with lost of a teen). Perhaps find some information and just leave it for them. No need to hound them about it but if they have it at the ready that could help.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I lost a son due to preterm labor at 22 weeks. Just offer an ear, a shoulder to cry on. I know I didn't feel like doing anything, so even maybe some prepared dinners. This is going to be a long, long road for this family. Maybe hlep her make a shadow box of things of the baby's....a memorial is important. I'm so sorry for the loss of a little baby....breaks my heart.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I lost my 1st child,my daughter Caitlin,to stillbirth at 34 weeks

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:58 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• how do u get over the lost of a baby with out nobody help you married
    joy935

Answer by joy935 at 4:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2010