What age do you think is a good time to start potty training?

My daughter is 17 months old and I want to start potty training. She shows alot of interest in the potty and even has her own potty. My mom thinks I should wait but when should I start buying the pull ups and stuff?

shleibert

Asked by shleibert at 4:17 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Go for it!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• 2.5-3

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Go for it, I am going to start with my 18 month old too, I know he is ready. A lot of people swear by starting them early, my daughter was potty trained right after she turned two. Check out the 3 day potty training method, thats what Im going to do.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 4:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Whenever you want!! I started my daughter at nine months - very relaxed. I took her when I remembered and she would go whenever she was on the potty. Now at 23 months I think she may be completely potty trained. If I had been more diligent, I am sure she would have gotten it much sooner.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:35 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I think there is a small window of oppurtunity right around that age!! I worked in daycare for years in a potty training room and noticed that if parents caught their kids right at that prime time of interest in general it was ALOT easier to potty train! I personally dont like waiting until a kid is 2.5 or 3 years old, simply because in my experience I noticed that it can be moredifficult because they are smarter and more set in their ways. I say go for it. and if it doesnt work right now, no biggie!! you can always try again!! We started trying to train when my DD was 18 months, she was interested for a while, but oculdnt grasp the concept. so we stopped and started again when she was 22 months and she was completely trained in a month. it all varies by kid, but I say go for it if shes intereested!! You dont want to miss that small window of oppurtunity!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 5:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I say you can try whenever you want to but don't push. She might not be ready yet and you can cause more problems by pushing than by waiting a little
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2010