how can you get rid of fleas?

I have a townhouse so if one person gets them then pretty much everyone does...well I'm really allergic and get hives when they bite me.

I was wondering if anyone ever used the raid flea spray because I don't want to buy something and it not work. My cat has frontline now so he is good but I need them gone!

Smiley001

Asked by Smiley001 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• didn't work for me.... the stuff that worked for me was "bengal: full season flea killer plus." it doesn't even have a smell, and you don't have to keep kiddos out of the room for days.... it kills fruit flies too!
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 4:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Where can you get that? I just looked at lowes.com and they don't have it and walmart doesn't either
    Smiley001

Comment by Smiley001 (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i got it at walmart. lol. on the bugspray aisle..... came with 2 cans for $10.....
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 4:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I have had a flea infestation twice! ugh. The first line of defense was the frontline. I love that stuff lol. After that I didn't use any sprays or raid or any of that mess. What I did do was vacuum about 2 times a day for about a week. I have a bagless vacuum and you could see the little buggers in there. You have to empty the canister outside everytime you vacuum. I would empty it outside in a kroger bag or something, then close that up and put it in the trash. You gotta get the corners and the furniture too, and wash your bedding and all that. After about the first 2 days I didn't really see anymore in the vacuum, but I kept doing it for a while just to be sure.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 5:09 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I treated my cat, and I vacuum almost daily, I sprinkle a littl bit of borax in the vacuum container which kills fleas and is a safer alternative to most other chemicals.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I don't see them really but I had one on me yesterday and broke out in hives instantly. I ended up in the hospital 3 times last summer because they were so bad outside my condo and the association wouldn't do anything and then they infested my basement and i moved the old carpet and got covered in them....but like i said i've only seen a few but i don't have time to be sick from them
    Smiley001

Comment by Smiley001 (original poster) at 5:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2010