How do I get over depression??

I have been depressed since I had my first son in 2006. Well acctually it started before that because my then boyfriend (Now husband) didn't want to have him. I find that I can't get up and I don't want to do anything including playing with my boys. I am on anti-depressants but they only seam to help 50% of the time. I want to have my energy back and feel like me again. I just can't seam to shake this. I don't know if it's PPD any more if it's just regular old Depression. If any of you ladies have and either and got better how did you do it? It just seams that there is no end in sight. Thank you for your help
Leauna

Leauna

Asked by Leauna at 12:58 AM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Health

• I have been there! Two things for you to consider:

For immediate relief, Workout. Workout until you are SURE you are going to die, then keep going until that feeling goes away. Continue for about 10 more minutes, then stop. You will experience a "runners high." It is the BEST medicine, and lasts for about 8 -12 hours (at least it does for me)

For long term help, go to a psychaitrist for you meds. They know depression meds way better than a regular doctor, and will be much better at finding you meds that work for you. Many of the meds actually make some people worse. I know that psychatirsts are still pretty taboo, but they are doctors, and it is so worth it!
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 1:06 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• You may need inpatient help or have you tried switiching medications or to other healthcare professionals ?
    It may be also you need marital help since there was problems from the start over having kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• You can pm me too! I am happy to answer questions if it will help. Like I said before, I have been there.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 1:08 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• -Do you like to read?? There are tons of books out there that may inspire you.
    -Do you have friends that live near you? If not, maybe you could join a moms group. Most groups have all sorts of activities that will get you out of the house and let you enjoy some adult conversation while still interacting with your little ones.
    -Surround yourself with happy positve people.Reevaluate any negative friendships you may have, they aren't worth your happiness.
    -Do you workout? The more you give to your body the more your body will give back to you.
    -Do you eat properly?? Proper nutrition is vital to a healthy mind.
    -Change the way you think. This is tough to do but anytime a negative thought crosses your mind erase it and start to count your blessings.
    -Talk to somebody about it!! Get everything off of your chest that may be bothering you.
    -Believe in yourself

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Thanks Ladies for your advice. I have been thinking about going to a councelor to try and find out what is making me depressed. I have been talking to my mom and my sister over the phone but that doesn't always help. I recently found out as I was talking to my sister that I hate how my husband and I got married with no one around us just at a court house with two close friends. I really wanted a big wedding but didn't get it because we rushed into it. I didn't relize that it bothered me that much till I was talking to her about it.

Leauna

Answer by Leauna at 2:55 AM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I'm on a regament that works very well. I work out at least 3 days a week, stay away from alcohol, caffeine and processed foods, take at least 1000mg of fish oil a day and 100mg of b vitamins a day.
    I def. notice if i miss a step.

http://www.foodforthebrain.org/content.asp?id_Content=1635
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 4:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2008