Does religion and faith mean the same to you? Why or why not?

dance45133

Asked by dance45133 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I agree with all the previous posts but I wanted to post this quote that I think applies.
    ‎"Religion is ‘if you obey, then you will be accepted’. But the Gospel is, ‘if you are absolutely accepted, and sure you’re accepted, only then will you ever begin to obey’. Those are two utterly different things. Every page of the Bible shows the difference.” [Timothy J. Keller - pastor, author of "The Reason for God"]

1lv2stks3nlz4ev

Answer by 1lv2stks3nlz4ev at 10:46 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• No, not to me. I have faith, which to me is personal between me and God. In my mind, religion is the politics added to faith by man. My views don't really fit into a traditional religion that I have found.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Absolutely not the same to me. Religion is something created by man, but faith is the relationship I have with God and the only thing that matters. If I'm being completely honest, I do not understand how some people can blindly follow the directions of a fellow human being and believe that they must do this, do that, in order to be accepted by God. I get my directions from the Big Man Himself. ;-) haha
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 4:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Nope, one is an emotion and one is an organization. Nobody has to have either, and many people only have one or the other.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:27 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• No. Religion is an organized set of Rules and Beliefs which has been handed down through channels... Faith is a spiritual, more personal thing. You can easily have either and not have the other...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I completely and totally agree with scout mom.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 4:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• No. To me, religion is the organized structure through which faith can be exercised, but faith is the personal belief and spirituality of an individual, IMO...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Oh, and IMO, religion is not necessary for spiritual cultivation or for faith to thrive...
    bandgeek521

• No. Religion=mans interpretation of what people "should" believe in.
    Faith=Ones own personal spiritual path.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• No religion and faith are two different concepts.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:07 PM on Sep. 19, 2010