SHOULD I LET MY TEENAGER DO HOME SCHOOL?

I have a 13 yr.old daughter and she wants to do home school and some kids bother her at school and she hate to go, so should i let her do home school?

southernlady73

Asked by southernlady73 at 4:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

Level 2 (-1 Credits)
  • Let HER do homeschool? I am not sure what that means, would she be on line ? would YOU be teaching her? where is the cirriculum? just curious really -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• My daughter had the same kind of reasons for asking to be homeschooled last year. We did and she loves it. My daughter went from being someone who loved school to absolutely hating it in 9th grade. She would come home with migraines and be depressed all the time. Once we got her out of that environment she went back to her normal happy self. Homeschooling is not for everyone, but in our case it was the best choice for our kids. I would see what the requirements are in your state before you commit and it might help to find someone who has been homeschooling for a while that you can talk with. This is our second year homeschooling an 11 and a 15 year old (and tutoring another homeschooler who is 16, but not my child). Feel free to send me a message if you like. Good luck!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• If she is doing homeschool, you are doing homeschool too, even if it is online. Will she change her mind next week? Can you help her resolve the situation another way? Is she going to spend her life running away from uncomfortable situations?
    Home schooling is a way of life and a huge commitment for the entire family. I do not know if you have completely thought this through.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I would let her. She can get a really great education through a program like k-12 or connections academy and not have to deal with all of the jr high/ high school bs.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 8:32 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Yes, you can teach her best and peer pressure is not necessary for good development. Other kids are teaching your daughter morals when she is in school.No one will ever teach her better than you.
    booniemom

Answer by booniemom at 11:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I always looked at home school as being short on education, that the kids would never learn the same as if they were in school, "BUT" I know moms who do it, or who has done it, and their kids are in college. What do you think? If you feel this would be best for her, then go for it. Teach your child too that in life we can't run from bullies or mean kids. Tell her she need to stare evil and mean kids in the face and put her foot down. In life we can't run and hide from the ugliness in this world because it's everywhere.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 6:49 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• It wouldn't be her doing it on her own, you would have to facilitate it and such, but if that's what she needs then you should do it. School is not for everyone.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 7:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• She can't run away from the bullies for the rest of her life. Talk to the school admin and address the bullying issue.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:05 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I would- at most she can go back to school if she doesn't like it.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Everyone has a hard time at school at some point. I know I did. But letting them take the easy way out is not teaching them to be tough and face the real world. Will she be able to quit her job every time a coworker is a little rude to her? No, so tell her to grow up and deal with it. At the very least I would let her switch schools but homeschooling is such a lonely road and frustrating to the parent
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:19 PM on Sep. 20, 2010