Don't you worry that your answer could hurt a baby?

It's common for people to say things like "do what you think is right", "trust your mommy instincts", "guidelines are just guidelines", and offer other foolish advice. Your answer could encourage a mother to do something that could harm her baby. You don't know what someone else's mommy instincts are. Thoughts?

Gailll

Asked by Gailll at 4:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Gaiil.. you nailed it on the head- unfortunately I've seen SO many of your answers that have bashed mothers for daycare, formula feeding, discipline before you know the whole story too - so I think we all do the best we can with our own experience and try to help the best we know how.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Max, you also nailed it!

Answer by older at 4:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Mommies are smarter than they're given credit for. I think they're going to go with their mommy instincts no matter what they're told on here. Getting advice just helps you feel like you're not alone.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 4:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• well, my mommy instincts were "tried" when my daughters old dr called dss on me..... now, 3 weeks later, my new dr is telling me to trust my mommy instincts, and to do my mommy thing. my daughter is now thriving (she wasn't hurting before, but the other dr was stressing me out. telling me she was going to die and that i would "feel bad") dss is dropping the case. i firmly believe that mothers need to realize that they may not FEEL like they know what they're doing, but inside, they truly do know. if i wasn't confident in myself as a mother (i have 3) i could have easily lost it. i feel for the new mothers who go to that dr and end up feeling like they aren't going to do what is right for the baby.

being a mother holds plenty of fears, but we need to remember that we are doing the best we can for our children.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 4:56 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• lol No. If they have enough sense to come on a site such as this one, they also probably have enough sense not to do something completely stupid that would "kill their baby". If your "mommy instincts" lead you to something that could kill your child then you need a long stay in a psych ward.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 4:57 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• oh please the orginaly poster thinks formula feeding will kill someones baby. she thinks her s*it does not stinct and she is a perfect mother. yes i will tell another mother to do the best with what she got. all mothers are strong. we as women are strong enough not to listen to someone like gail. get a life gaill.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 5:08 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• 1. Formula-fed children have been proven to be just as healthy as breast-fed children. Formula lacks the antibodies that breastmilk offers, but other than that, it's a PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE substitute for mommy's milk. I haven't heard of ONE American child that has been harmed by formula...the "evidence" has NEVER EVER been backed up by hard facts. But there have been proven cases of babies that have been diagnosed with failure to thrive.

2. Before all of various parenting books were written, mothers relied on their instincts. It is best for MY baby to do what I feel is right, based on the knowledge I have been presented with. Just because it doesn't bode well with YOU doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Gaill, you are a very opinionated woman. But the way you present your opinions are offensive.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 6:23 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I found the perfect example in one of the groups. There was a mom with a breastfed baby and she was getting bad advice about how her baby was ok. It turned out her baby is very ill and has been air lifted to a chilren's hospital with a heart problem. I'm so glad I wasn't one of the people that told her that her baby was fine.

Gailll

Comment by Gailll (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• if no one likes our answers they don't have to take the advice. if you don't want advice don't ask. i do my best to give helpful answers. i always think trusting your instincts is true.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 7:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• just my opinion.... but why should we worry about other people's mommy instincts are different than ours? i mean, just like every person is different, maybe what works for you may not work for others...... i can eat fish, my daughter can't. it's good for me, not for her. lifestyles are different, so instincts are too.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 7:37 PM on Sep. 19, 2010