for those of you who rent...landlord/lady question

How often does your landlord/lady show up? We just moved in exactly 4 weeks ago, and she's here at least once, if not twice a week! She's not moving stuff out, she just lets herself into the backyard or basement (from outside--we don't even have a key, though we have access indoors). And she doesn't let me know she's here or when she's leaving...She will also move OUR stuff in and out of the basement as she wants! She's here gardening (when she PAYS a landscaper) and mowing (and someone else mows too!) and it freaks me out! She made so much noise in the basement one day that I opened the door, slammed it (making noise) and locked it, wanting to call the cops, but waiting in case it was our neighbors (duplex with shared basment). She has told us we need instructions on the heating system, and when we bring it up, she won't tell us! It's cold! I want to turn the heat on, and I can't! Any advice?

eirejade

Asked by eirejade at 5:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have rented and I have never heard of a landlord just coming and going. The mowing wouldnt bother me so much but actually coming inside would bother me. i would talk to her and tell her you are a private person and you have kids that nap and it scared you when she came in the basement. Then jsut ask her if she would mind calling before coming over. It sounds like she is being very annoying. i would just be friendly but try to set up that boundary.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• thats why i rent a garden apartment, so that i dont have to deal with shit like that.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• the only time i see my landlord is when i pay rent. i'v never had a landlord like that.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:11 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• We are currently renting a house and have not seen or heard from our landlord with the exception of when we call him. He told us from the get go that he usually doesnt come out to his propertys unless there is a problem and that we would get notice unless it was an emergency.
    Does she have stuff in the basement? Since it is a shared basement maybe she doesnt think that its a big deal for her to be down there since your neighbors have entry too. I would definately keep the door locked inside at all times. Maybe talk to her and tell her that it scares you when you hear noises down there. As for the heat I would think that as long as you are the one paying the heat bill that you can have it on whenever you feel like it ..so she needs to give you instructions. We used to live in an apartment where the utilities were included in the rent and they switched the air conditioning off and on at a certain time of year.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• i never see our landlord, ever! never even met him, we live in a large apt system and we pay the manager when rent is due, the maintanance guy lives across from us and we see him like everyday but he just waves.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• my land lord is awesome I see him once week to pay rent and when he is cutting the grass or when I call or stop buy his shop lol he has only ever been in our house maybe 4 or 5 times when we invited him and we've been here almost 4 years I would just ask that she let me know so I don't have to worry that someone is breaking or something maybe that would help she could call or just knock andlet you know
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• fox: yes she has stuff in the basement...and the attic...and the house...she moved out, but left some here. Some stuff (like a shelf and bookcases) she said we could use, some I find as I get stuff settled (like a bookend with the Thinker on it lol). I have kept some things (packed up the 100's of hangers she left, the box of jewelry of her daughters, the kitchen center in the attic, clothes left behind), but thrown away others (primarily a Ouiji board, which I was TICKED to find in DS's closet, but also a bunch of garbage and food she left). Our basement has the heating system, washer/dryer, and now our lawn mower (that she put down there, without asking), and storage stuff (christmas, old clothes). I may put our masterlock on the gate to the backyard...she has people come to take care of the yard, and they don't even let me know. It's bad enough she took some of our things without asking (tire ramps)
    eirejade

Comment by eirejade (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• She has no sense of consideration, honestly. I thought she was nice, but when she told me she was coming at 8:00 in the morning with an electrician "friend" and that was the ONLY time, regardless if me and the kids were up, she had a key and would let him and herself in, I was like, don't know if I like her anymore. It;'s a reaaaalllly nice place, so I don't want to move. But she seems so...dictating.
    eirejade

Comment by eirejade (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• only time they come by is if we ask them to (like if something is wrong and they want to check it out before calling a professional). If they want to give us some etra air filters or lend us a trailer for trash (SO is renovsting the shed) they always call ahead of time
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• Our landlord hardly ever comes by. He'll send a repairman whenever something needs looking at, but he's only come by a couple of times since we moved in.

We did have one landlord who came around all the time, who would come in and turn off things and open our blinds or whatever when we weren't home. We hated it, and had a lot of issues with her when it came time to move out....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2010